Nest activity, 1 Jan 2013, 9:15-11:30am

Trisha
I can confirm seeing all the previous descriptions of a possible egg hatching. One adult was sitting high on the nest when I arrived, often standing on the rim, looking down in and putting its whole head down into the nest as it stood.

The second adult arrived from the back at 10am and began the same behavior along with the other adult. In a few minutes the original nest sitter flew off and the other then took the same high, but laying down, position on the nest. This new adult did not bring any food.

I was surprised to see the departing eagle land on top of a concrete FPL power pole to the left of the nest. I walked down and even though watching me closely, it let me get as close as I wanted. It preened for the entire duration. Unfortunately the angle was directly into the sun....so photography wasn't optimal.  I stood there with it for awhile until a truck came along and stopped and the occupants started yelling at me.....so much for a flight shot as off it flew just as I turned around to ask them to stop yelling. This adult then circled rather high behind the nest for a long time.

I walked back to the nest and found 2 new eagle watchers....Kit and Mike, who asked if I could show them the nest or an eagle. It was wonderful to again see and hear the excitement and joy as a new watcher first sees one of the eagles on the nest.  We all decided we needed longer lenses.

I watched for another 30 minutes, observing the same activity from the new adult on the nest as the previous. A couple times after it put its head way down into the nest it would come up and rapidly shake its head....appearing as though it had something tiny in its beak that it was throwing out of the nest. (Shell pieces......or do they eat them?)  Ken, I took lots of pictures if you need any for documentation....let me know as I doubt if I will have any better luck than before getting them on the site.