Nestorations in Deerfield

Rockitglider
Here's shot of mama bringing in a stick for the nest, then she spent a while placing it.

Kit

Re: Nestorations in Deerfield

Stylechick60
They’ve found their new home.   Thank you all for your love for our eagles 🦅 🦅 ❤️

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 15, 2019, at 8:00 PM, Rockitglider [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Here's shot of mama bringing in a stick for the nest, then she spent a while placing it.

Kit

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nestorations-in-Deerfield-tp7575421.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Nestorations in Deerfield

Stephanie5056
Yay!! So happy. Where is the nest located?

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 8:00 PM Rockitglider [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's shot of mama bringing in a stick for the nest, then she spent a while placing it.

Kit

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nestorations-in-Deerfield-tp7575421.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Nestorations (Nestruction) in Deerfield

Great news! They found an excellent tree with a substantial crotch, which is unusual in an Australian Pine, which usually sends up a single leader trunk. Bald Eagles naturally favor the flat tops of many mature native pines.

A few years ago I could not get any traction for my idea of topping off several younger Australian Pines in the vicinity of the Pembroke Pines nest. This would cause them to send their vigor into side branches and thus create platforms for breeding eagles (and possibly Ospreys) in the event that their nest trees were felled by a hurricane. This is just the kind of structural  result I was hoping for. However, municipal arborists shot it down, saying it would be "unhealthy" for the trees. Also there was fear that it would  make new areas unavailable for development because the birds would be protected from disturbance.

Hey! Australian Pines are "weeds" and quite hardy as well. Really thinking this would be feasible in suitable habitat, especially in existing Bald Eagle territories. Better than cell phone towers.

This year it is "nestruction." Next year and for many more years lets hope it is "nestoration."

Re: Nestorations in Deerfield

Hi Stephanie5056,

If you look in the other post (Nest area visit on 11-2-19), I posted a google earth screen shot showing exactly where it is.

Kit

Re: Nestorations in Deerfield

Rockitglider
Hello,

Haven't seen any copulation yet, but they are working hard on the nest. Here's a couple of shots as they were taking a break from nest building.

Kit

Re: Nestorations in Deerfield

Stylechick60
Bless their hearts!!
Thanks Kit !

Sent from my iPhone

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nestorations-in-Deerfield-tp7575421p7575427.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Nestorations in Deerfield

naturegirl
So happy they are back and looking to nest here hopefully the noisy park wont be a problem. Kit were these taken from a kayak ?

Re: Nestorations in Deerfield

Rockitglider
Hi Naturegirl,

No these were taken from the shore near the canoe rack where they launch these canoes behind the building where Woofing Waters is. I use a 500mm lens and a cropped sensor camera Nikon D500, according to Google earth it is about 525 feet away from the nest tree. I tried to rent a pedal boat and found that the high angle to the nest from the water made it difficult to get a good shot of the nest, I think the position at the beach or the shore are the best locations at this time. I plan to check other options as the time goes on.

naturegirl
Wow you got a great shot i have a 500mm lens and 600mm lens so there is hope from land to see them. I'm like 3 miles away so I would like to help monitor them so I will check the area out in a couple of weeks. From the entrance I go left and guess follow to the end where the canoes are ?

Re: Nestorations in Deerfield

Rockitglider
Hello,

From the entrance go Right and go to Woofing Waters follow the signs to the end and it's behind the Canoe rental building.

Kit

Re: Nestorations in Deerfield

Stephanie5056
Thank you for all the info everyone. I’m going there tomorrow to take my dog to the park and I’m bringing my camera!

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 3:27 PM Rockitglider [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

From the entrance go Right and go to Woofing Waters follow the signs to the end and it's behind the Canoe rental building.

Kit

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nestorations-in-Deerfield-tp7575421p7575434.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Nestorations in Deerfield

mitcha
Neat building late afternoon