New Female has a Name

Lisa G
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net

Re: New Female has a Name

Lisa, "Jewel" is a nice name but because of our agreement, I feel you should have informed me or the members of this FORUM when you planned to conduct a poll. You and I had agreed to wait until either the pair laid eggs this season or returned together next fall. Once we knew they were breeding we agreed to jointly request our readers to submit "nominations" of names over a one week period and then run an independent  poll which would be open to everyone. We selected the timing for the poll because we thought there would be much greater interest when they were sitting on eggs or had returned as a happily bonded couple.

Here is what we agreed to do when we discussed this back in December:

New female Glory briefly joined Pride

JAN 11-9:45 AM Both Eagles on the nest

Members of this FORUM are almost all local people who have been observing this nest for up to seven years. Many worked to secure designation of this site as a Bald Eagle Sanctuary. When Middle School students wanted to name the eaglets we helped them set up an independent poll during two separate seasons, and they obtained hundreds of votes from all over the US and even other countries. This poll was open to all. It limited voting to only once per Internet IP address to reduce duplicate submissions. It did not require someone to register with a Web site or this FORUM. The results were published for all to see. It was an exciting and educational experience. I expected that our agreement would be carried out and now it looks as if I misled our readers who suggested names after I told them to wait for the poll.

What were the statistics on the vote? I noticed you announced it on Facebook on Friday, February 13 at THIS FACEBOOK LINK and the next day there were only 10 comments / suggestions, some of which duplicated names we had already used.  None of them were "Jewel."  Maybe I missed something. Anyway, you announced the "new" name only 3 days later.

I am appealing to your sense of fairness. Would you be willing to have a re-run of the poll so that everyone (in the world) gets a chance to suggest names and then vote on which they think is best? We could ask for additional nominations over a week and then choose. They all may like "Jewel" the best anyway.

Re: New Female has a Name

tczig
I am most definitely going to agree 100% with Ken on this one (not that my opinon matters, nor do I mean to offend anyone - just expressing my humble opinion).

In naming the eagle offspring, Ken has done an amazing job - involving school children - and opening the poll to everyone.  I would definitely defer to Ken regarding any names (he's done great so far).

There are those of us (me) who do not partake in Facebook/social media, yet we enjoy forums such as this.  I am pretty basic and just like posting photographs and comments of what I observe, and seeing others' photos and observations.  Without F/B, I was not given the opportunity to help in naming of the new female.

I have been watching this beautiful eagles' nest since 2008, and as far as I am concerned, Ken could name the eagles anything he wanted, since it is his website.  Ken doesn't do that, though, he involves all of us.  For that, I THANK HIM and I hope to be a member of this forum for many more years - as long as these eagles keep coming back here.

Again, thanks Ken!

Peace

Re: New Female has a Name

johnnye
Have to agree with you and Ken...I wrote about a name in December, I think, and was told there would be voting in the forum and fb so all were included.  But it would appear that anyone that reads the forum and not fb was not included.  I don't fb either.

Re: New Female has a Name

tczig
Hi JohnnyE, well, it looks as though Facebook had the monoply on the female-eagle-naming, so us non-fb'ers were left out completely.  Any more whining about it on my part would just be beating a dead horse.  Jewel is a decent name; not what I would have picked (I like the Americana-type names), but decent.

Peace.

New Female has a Name

KellyHeffernan Proj Perch
I also believe the naming of Newfie should be done with a poll, like Ken
described, that includes everyone.  The only purpose in naming an eagle is
to engage and educate people and continue to grow support for this
particular nest.  By cutting everyone out of the process, it defeats the
whole purpose.  If you look at the FB page, Jewel wasn't even one of the
names suggested.

Kelly Heffernan
SFAS's Project Perch
(978) 412-5313

> Have to agree with you and Ken...I wrote about a name in December, I
> think,
> and was told there would be voting in the forum and fb so all were
> included.
> But it would appear that anyone that reads the forum and not fb was not
> included.  I don't fb either.

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net

Re: New Female has a Name

mrswiz
I too am very disappointed followers of the blog were not included in the poll for the name. I follow the blog regularly, and live directly in the area of the nest. I think I should have been given the opportunity to vote, along with all the other blog followers. It was never announced on the blog. I, for one, will not refer to her as that name. I shall just stick with "Newfie" in silent protest to the lack of opening the vote up to everyone.

The way in which the "poll" was conducted is what is the most annoying. FYI - I am on Facebook, but have never been to the eagle FB site. And now, I never will. Good Luck, Ken, in your attempts to have this done democratically.

Re: New Female has a Name

tczig
I am going to tap out of this conversation too, as it has taken an ugly turn; that was never my intent (I only come in peace).  I have enjoyed seeing these beautiful creatures for so many years and I will, hopefully, continue to see them for many more years.  I love that they thrive in this spot in Pembroke Pines, and that Florida is one of the states where they are more prevalent.

In the overall scheme of things, what us humans name or do not name them is really irrelevant - they are wild, free, animals, and I doubt they care what we call them as long as we leave them alone and respect their habitat.

Peace to all.

Julie

Re: New Female has a Name

Jill W

I agree with you, Julie.  The eagles could care less what we name them.

However, I think if one comes to an agreement with another, the agreement should be honored.  Instead, a post was made here announcing the name allegedly chosen by facebook users.  I am sure some of you don't know who I am.  I visited the nest area about 4-5 times a day, posted pictures, etc. until a few years ago.  I have had some health issues which prevent me from visiting the nest which is a 45 minute drive each way from my home.  I still keep up with posts and enjoy seeing photos posted by others who are able to visit

Jill

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

Re: New Female has a Name

tczig
Hi Jill, that's a shame you can't make it to the nest anymore; I so much enjoy these beauties.  I drive from Miami many times during the season just to catch a glimpse of them.  That's the reason I follow this forum, I love people's passion about them, and the gorgeous photos everybody takes.  And, Ken's bird photos are just spectacular!

I will keep on following and posing, and will stay out of any controversy that doesn't concern me.  I think a truce is in order and we just agree to disagree; hopefully, no hard feelings.  There's nothing wrong with a forum with opinions, even when they differ, but, I don't want to be involved in any angry remarks.

Maybe one day you will be able to go back and see the eagles and I will see you there enjoying them!

Julie

Re: New Female has a Name

Jill W
I need to make a correction to my last post.  I meant to say visits per week, not day!  Oops!  Sorry.

Jill