New sighting 12/16 Cooper City 3:45 PM

sascar
First time we see them in the afternoon.  Looks like the bigger of the two visited just before 4:00 PM.  She took off going south east, maybe toward Bryan Piccolo Park.

Re: New sighting 12/16 Cooper City 3:45 PM

Very good photos. This is a nearly 4 year old eagle, meaning it is about to enter its 5th year and is not quite in full adult plumage. It has the typical dark line behind its eye and a few dark markings on its almost pure white head. Her bill and eyes are yellow, same as full adult.Note that its tail has a dark tip. It will be interesting to see the male's plumage as well, so try for it.

She may not be quite ready to breed-- this is not absolutely sure, but the Pembroke Pines female was this age when she joined the male in early December last year. She allowed the male to mate with her but failed to breed. She also took an active part in restoring the nest, continuing this behavior into January and early February.

Please keep us up to date as we know that the PP eagles had eleven known surviving offspring over the years, of which 5 or more would now be of breeding age. Thanks so much for this observation!

PS-- when posting you may use the Pembroke Pines CURRENT 2015-2016 Sub-FORUM. I moved your post and my reply to the correct sub-forum.

Re: New sighting 12/16 Cooper City 3:45 PM

sascar
Great info, thank you very much.  My wife will try to "hunt" the other bird for a close up as well.