New sighting near Flamingo Dr and Miramar Pkwy 12/30

New sighting near Flamingo Dr and Miramar Pkwy 12/30

mspreizer
While on a walk near Flamingo Dr and Miramar Pkwy I spotted an adult bald eagle. I was able to snap a photo with my cell phone. I wonder if anyone else has seen one near this area- it seems pretty far away from the nesting site. Perhaps another adult is in the area?

I took the photo on 12/30/13 at 4:42 PM.

Re: New sighting near Flamingo Dr and Miramar Pkwy 12/30

Thanks, Mark--

Yes, this is quite a distance from the nest. Since it is an adult with a white head, it is possible but somewhat unlikely to be one of the Pines Boulevard adults. The corner of Flamingo & Miramar Parkway is about 7.5 miles from the eagle nest. Their home range is said to be about a 2 mile radius from the nest, but this pair regularly forages in Sunset Lakes, about 3 miles from the nest.

If there are more sightings from that area I would suspect a new nest. We should keep an eye out for one in that general area. I am copying the Florida FWC for their information.

Thank you!