No eagle activity seen/heard at nest 10:30 am, Sat, 31 Mar 2012

No eagle activity seen/heard at nest 10:30 am, Sat, 31 Mar 2012

Re: No eagle activity seen/heard at nest 10:30 am, Sat, 31 Mar 2012

Thanks, Trisha We arrived there about 11:00 AM this morning and also did not see any eagles.

Re: No eagle activity seen/heard at nest 10:30 am, Sat, 31 Mar 2012

Danny Cueva
I went this morning to the nest and observed one adult in the nest, and took photos of it.

attached is one of the photos I took.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blueeyezlatino/6889645286/

Re: No eagle activity seen/heard at nest 10:30 am, Sat, 31 Mar 2012

Thanks, Danny. That is good news, as it shows that the eagles are retaining fidelity to their nest site. It would be wonderful if the eaglet were to suddenly show up at the nest-- perhaps it defied tradition, and its first flight brought him far away from the nest and now the parents are trying to lure him back. I say "him" because I do think that this was not the first hatched chick, which statistically is a female (over 90% of the time). Also, first-hatched females are more aggressive with nest-mates and they grow more rapidly. Paradoxically, second-hatched females are more prone to siblicide (death or starvation at the hands of their elder sister or brother).