Observation: January 7 / 5:00pm - 5:30pm

Observation: January 7 / 5:00pm - 5:30pm

vdelauz
Hello again, everyone! I hope all of you are having a wonderful new year!

It's been a while, but I've managed to find my way back to Ken's site in order to participate in this year's observations. I stopped at the nesting site on my way home from work and watched the area for 30 minutes. I only saw one eagle and it was buried deep in the nest. As most of you have already noted, viewing the nest this year is somewhat of a challenge. I had a little bit of wind coming out of the west, so it helped to move branches out of the way just long enough for me to snap a few pics. I was fortunate to capture two images that I would like to share with all of you. The first one shows the top of the head of the eagle that was in the nest (I assume it is incubating the eggs?). You can see the eye and part of the beak, but just barely. There's also a wing here, located to the right of the head. It almost looks like someone was snacking on a Great Blue Heron, but that is pure speculation on my behalf.

This second image is a plain one, but it does show the tail feathers of the eagle in the nest after it shifted. The head went down and the tail came up. I had to change angles in order to get a better vantage point. Again, as mentioned, the nest seems to have grown in size, grown in depth or grown in both size and depth.

Enjoy the pics! I'm looking forward to following this year's activities.

All the best to everyone and, again, may you all have a wonderful 2011!