One eaglet seen again today Friday JAN 24

One eaglet seen again today Friday JAN 24

Yesterday (Thursday JAN 23) I got one poor photo of the eaglet being fed.

Today we made two visits to the nest, first in mid-morning. There were strong northerly winds and the temperature was in the mid-50s (F).We found the female roosting in the dead melaleuca trees west of the nest and the male tending to the eaglets and finally settling down to shelter them against the cold winds.

I visited the nest again at 1:30 PM and watched for an hour. For the first 20 minutes the nest appeared empty. The male was roosting on the horizontal limb near the top of the nest tree and the female was not present.

As I watched the apparently empty nest a liitle fuzzy white head popped up!

Then the female flew in and the eaglet again briefly reappeared.

She fed and covered the eaglets until the male flew in and displaced her at the nest.

The male fed the eaglets and then settled down.

The bill of one eaglet shows between his legs as he seems to be swallowing a fish.

Re: One eaglet seen again today Friday JAN 24

Lee Smith sent me this excellent photo taken while we watched the nest. He got a much better shot of the eaglet. Photo is used with his permission. Thanks, Lee!