One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

Madsam

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

Only about 15% of the nest remains. Dave posted the above from his phone-- this is his photo displayed:

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

naturegirl
Wow this family has been through a lot this year. He should probably be in rehab with so little nest left where his sibling is. How are the parents doing ? Are they injured ?

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

Madsam
parents are not injured.  I saw jewel roosting staring at the nest but the remaining eaglet should be rescued as there is so little nest left and can fall at any moment.

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

Madsam

what is left of the nest

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

Madsam
eaglet still on nest as of yesterday afternoon!

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

naturegirl
Are there plans for a rescue ? Can pelican harbor come and get him ?

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

naturegirl
Has anyone who knows where the nest is called  FWC Hotline at 888-404-3922 for help. ?

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

Madsam
I spoke to pelican harbor while i was at the nest yesterday and they told me they were aware of the remaining eaglet and the nest only being 15 percent left and were making calls to have the eaglet rescued but nothing was garanteed.

Sent from iPhone

On Apr 20, 2021, at 7:47 AM, naturegirl [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are there plans for a rescue ? Can pelican harbor come and get him ?

To unsubscribe from One eaglet still on what is left of nest., click here.

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

Madsam
I just called and the are going to head to the nest

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

naturegirl
great news. i messaged fwc and shawnlei but she is away so good news about the rescue

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

Comparing the state of feather development, I think that maybe the grounded one was the younger eaglet (the "male") rather than the "female." In my last shots of them, the larger one had lost just about all its visible natal down on its head while the other still had quite a bit. The photos and video from Pelican Harbor do show rather extensive down on wings and body. Your photo of the remaining bird do not show much natal down, but lighting was not perfect. Just an opinion as I am still out of town.

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

JesseG8r
Does anyone have an update? Do we know if Pelican Harbor has gotten the second eaglet yet?

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

Madsam
No they have not recovered the second eaglet. Both adults have been bringing food to the eaglet but the best is very small and no real estate for the eaglet. No nest restoration either. Many of us eagle watchers have continued to call pelican harbor with no results. I have been to the best 3 times this week seen the eaglet and both adults and feeding.

Re: One eaglet still on what is left of nest.

JesseG8r
Pelican Harbor's Facebook site says they intend to try to return the fallen eaglet to the nest. I wonder if they could try to relocate both eaglets to the old nest? It still looks very well intact. I would think the parents would continue to care for them there.