Possible explanation for the "dead" eaglet

Possible explanation for the "dead" eaglet

There appears to be no question that the second eaglet did indeed survive the fight with its older sibling. I really want to see more photos of both in the nest to reassure us all that it was not seriously injured and continues to do well. Sorry I am out of town and unable to take part in this.

At first I wondered whether the "dead" eaglet may have been a third and even younger nestling, but what I now think happened was that this may have represented a defensive strategy which protected the weaker sibling from further attack.

I have seen this kind of behavior in small birds when a hawk suddenly appears. Usually the birds scatter into protective shrubbery and remain perfectly still. If surprised out in the open they may "freeze" in place as long as the threat is present.

As a kid I often helped my grandfather catch chickens which roamed in our adjacent yards. If I cornered one by extending my hands in front of it (almost like a hawk swooping down) it would sometimes simply become motionless, crouching low. I could pick it up and even turn it on its back without it trying to escape.  See "How to Hypnotize a Chicken" in the The Old Farmer's Almanac.

Re: Possible explanation for the "dead" eaglet

Lisa G
This post was updated on .

Both Little Eaglets are fine . I am sure the darker one is a Female and the Gray one is a Male . The 2 pictures I posted here are from Pride & Jewel Facebook page . Suzanna shared them with us . Both Babies are doing great . Lets remember when a older Eaglets is fighting the younger one the younger Eaglet will
lay down like it is dead to protect it self . but as we can clearly see both Babies are doing great and growing fast . These Pictures were taken on 4/21/2016
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net