Question?

MyEagle13
Ok i have report last week or so that i have seen one adult not knowing witch one but at least one spending night time few feet from the nest at visible area well its been a while now that i haven't seen none close or at the nest i'm worrie cause i only saw one at the nest and earlier this month i use to see both on the dead pines spending night time together and so far it's been a while that only see one? now i don't see none and  by this time they should be very close together at the nest, really want to see them both together at least to know they are ok?
Myeagle13

Re: Question?

The last time I saw both at the nest was October 30, almost a month ago. Yes, Velinda there may be reason to be concerned. A problem is that not many people are reporting their observations. I hope more watchers find time to drop by the nest at various times of day. As you know, in past years they have laid the first egg as early as November 24 (today) and as late as December 18th. In prior years they were usually both reported during the weeks leading up to egg-laying.

Please report any sightings, even negative results but especially if anyone sees both adults at the same time and their location.

Bald Eagles that survive their dangerous first year are said to live 15 - 20 years in the wild, on average. This pair has been together at this nest for at least  8 years, and were already at least 5 years old when they started breeding. We do not know whether they may have been displaced from a different nest before moving to this one. Therefore they are at least 13 years old.

I have read that if the female dies or disappears that the male will usually stay on the territory and try to attract another mate into the territory, while if the male is lost that the female will tend to seek out another mate and may even invade an existing breeding pair and try to take over. Let's hope nothing like that is going on here and that we simply have not had enough observations to be sure of their present status.

Thanks!

Re: Question?

MyEagle13
Thank you Ken i'm gonna go to the nest tonight around 7:00pm to see if at least see one tonight and early tomorrow i will try to repeat this as many time as possible for several days the thing is that when is dark i cannot know if is pride or joy i did see one a lot of night as i report last few days so i'm concern maybe for pride cause you are correct  100% male will keep their territory even when female is not around anymore well i pray for the happy finally and see them with new babies this new season let you know as soon as i can report something new
Myeagle13