SEP30: Pride tries to break off a stick

The pair has been working to rebuild their second nest which broke apart last season. They have been  busy bringing in sticks but now much progress is visible.

From a great distance I photographed the male (Pride) trying his best to break off a large branch out near the west edge of the woodland along Pines Boulevard. He failed, despite actually trying to fly upside down to create maximum strength. He finally had to give up and return to roost.

 Pride on the nest seems to be thinking about how to build a stronger foundation this time:

The female (Jewel was keeping watch in an adjacent tree:

He flew to a live tree and seemed to be trying to break off a heavy green branch:

Re: SEP30: Pride tries to break off a stick

NotToofast
This post was updated on .
Great pictures (as usual) Dr Ken...and quite interesting behavior. Trying to break free the branch throwing all the body weight and leveraging the wing span flapping upside down to gain even more force against the resistance of the branch is mind blowing.  Smart birds are those...I know the adults train the eaglets in the up side down flight skill (I witnessed the behavior myself with the Miramar Eagles). The common assumption is they need the skill to be able to snatch the food form competitors (there are youtube videos showing such displays)..and of course for mating...Eagles met high in the air and "Dance in the Sky" locking talons while spinning down. Showing they possess the skill and have the body control while falling at great speed may convince the potential mate of the suitor's worth.... But I just realize that particular skill also comes in handy for nest construction...

Re: SEP30: Pride tries to break off a stick

Wow, Jorge-- thanks for your insightful comments about eagles' aerial acrobatics.

In January of this year I photographed one of the pair (thought it was Jewel) doing likewise and failing to break off a living pine branch. I posted the second shot on a FB birding page and was accused of simply rotating a normal flight shot:

Re: SEP30: Pride tries to break off a stick

Great shots Ken,

Looks like it was giving it hell!

Kit

Re: SEP30: Pride tries to break off a stick

JesseG8r
I stopped by today for a bit, but didn't see much mass in the nest. Some of it may have washed out with the recent heavy rain?

Re: SEP30: Pride tries to break off a stick

Watcher
Would you be able to tell me if anyone is monitoring the nest this season. I’m a frequent visitor and also continue to check for any updates online regarding this nest and haven’t seen any new postings. I would appreciate any information you can give me.

Re: SEP30: Pride tries to break off a stick

The nest is also being monitored for Florida Audubon EagleWatch by Phil Martin, who posts observations directly to Audubon Florida's EagleWatch Program:
https://eaglewatch-audubon.hub.arcgis.com/

Sorry about my lack of updates. I usually get out to the nest at least once or twice a week but for the past month have been hospitalized and my mobility is still limited because of ongoing treatments. I do hope others will step in to publish updates and photos.

As announced previously, this FORUM was recently migrated to a new server and has new URLs as follows:

Main page (with links to all the sub-FORUMS:
http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.17.s1.nabble.com/

Pembroke Pines nest BO-002:
http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.17.s1.nabble.com/CURRENT-2019-Present-Observations-of-Pembroke-Pines-Bald-Eagle-Nest-BO-002-f7575321.html

Quiet Waters nest BO-003:
http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.17.s1.nabble.com/QUIET-WATERS-PARK-DEERFIELD-Eagle-Nest-Observations-amp-Photos-f7573503.html

Davie Nest BO-004:
http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.17.s1.nabble.com/Davie-nest-BO-004-Observations-amp-Photos-f7576302.html

South Miramar Nest DA-005:
http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.17.s1.nabble.com/South-Miramar-Eagle-Nest-DA-005-Observations-amp-Photos-f7576194.html

If anyone who is a "Member" has trouble accessing or posting updates and/or photos, please let me know directly at: ken@rosyfinch.com. If registered and not a member please contact me so that I can upgrade your status.

Re: SEP30: Pride tries to break off a stick -

Sally
Hi Ken,

Appreciate all you do for us in this forum and the birding community.

Just wanted to wish you well on your path to healing.  Please feel better soon.  We miss your wonderful words and beautiful photos.

Sally Garcia

Re: SEP30: Pride tries to break off a stick

Watcher
Thank you for your information. Good luck on your recovery 🦅