SUN Feb 16 - Adult carrying large bird at 8:11 AM

SUN Feb 16 - Adult carrying large bird at 8:11 AM

While walking in the wetlands west of Harbour Lakes just south of Pembroke Road & SW 196 Ave/Miramar Parkway extension (1.6 miles SE of the nest), at 8:11 AM I saw this Bald Eagle flying about 1/2 mile away. It was heading from Sunset Lakes, flapping hard and heading towards the Pembroke Pines nest. It was carrying a long-legged wading bird that appeared to have a gray back and white undersides, with a long straight bill that was dark at the tip. This fits the description of a Tricolored Heron. This bird probably weighs almost a pound and this looks like the male eagle, which is about 7-8 pounds. Interestingly, this pair of eagles seems to catch as many birds as fish to feed their two half-grown eaglets.

I hope there were some watchers at the nest to see the prey delivered!