Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 11:10am to 11:40am

Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 11:10am to 11:40am

vdelauz
Due to my heavy workload recently, I haven't had the opportunity to submit an observation, but I made some time this morning and headed over to the nest. First of all, I have to say that THINGS HAVE CHANGED! I don't know if it's a weekend thing, but there are three big white informational signs on the south side of the road and there's a Pembroke Pines police officer patrolling the area and making sure that people park and observe from the north side of the road. Yes, it's safer (and less stressful for the eagles), but it's much more difficult to get a good picture from across the street with the gear that I have, so I'm going to have to beg my wife for a longer lens this coming Father's Day!

Seriously, though, I was in shock after seeing the eaglets today because, other than the pics that I've seen here on Ken's site, I hadn't seen the eaglets with my own eyes and didn't realize how big and active they already were. I was even more excited to see that the three of them are still doing well!

Well, my observation began at 11:10am and I arrived to see the male eagle feeding all three eaglets a whole lot of some unknown prey. I can't tell you whether it was cached in the nest or if the male eagle brought it to the nest because I arrived during the feeding. All three eaglets ate their respective shares and moved around the edges of the nest very comfortably. There was one point where the largest eaglet stood so close to the eastern edge of the nest that I felt it was going to fall out. I guess that fact, combined with a lot of wing flapping, just shows that it's gaining confidence. I will add that it was also doing some preening while standing on the edge of the nest. The male eagle fed the chicks from 11:10am to 11:19am, at which time he flew from the nest towards the melaleuca trees. He roosted on the melaleucas for the remainder of my observation. After leaving the eaglets alone, they moved around the nest a lot. Towards the end of my observation, they settled into the nest and all I could see was the tops of their heads. I guess they took a siesta after that huge meal!

Here's a heavily cropped image taken from across the street showing the male eagle feeding the three eaglets:

Re: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 11:10am to 11:40am

Very nice narrative and illustration, Victor!

The older chick has lost almost all his natal down. The middle one has a fuzzy cap.

Re: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 11:10am to 11:40am

vdelauz
Thank you, Ken!

I am just so surprised at how big and healthy they have gotten in such a short period of time. Nature is amazing...

Re: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 11:10am to 11:40am

coffeemom
I drove by Sunday after church and saw 5 cars parked on the south side just like last year. "sigh"
 I haven't stopped out there this year because it's easier to see the eaglets from your wonderful pictures.
Thank-you so much,
Kristi