Saturday, Jan 29th, Pics of Two Chicks & Video of One Flapping Wings

Saturday, Jan 29th, Pics of Two Chicks & Video of One Flapping Wings

EagleObserver
This post was updated on .
Saturday evening was pleasant, the eagles were active, and that brought out a lot of bird/photography enthusiasts -- probably 7-10 folks were watching the nest going into twilight and the hour prior.  When I arrived, close to 5pm, an adult was to the west in the dead trees and the babies were active.  I couldn't capture any great shots, but did find two babies in one frame.  Also, the adult flew to the nest after circling and picking-up a twig from a near-by perch behind the nest -- see photos.   I also was able to film a video of a baby flapping its wings, the first I witness this year.  Below are some other photos from the evening of the eagles, and a couple days ago of a white egret a couple miles from the eagle location.

Video of baby flapping wings: http://hartmanimpressions.com/Gallery/Wildlife/2011-Bald-Eagle-Videos/15458326_KSWcV  (Video will post 1/30th pm.)

Re: Saturday, Jan 29th, Pics of Two Chicks & Video of One Flapping Wings

Nice images, Jim. See my notes and photos of chicks from past seasons after viewing Greg's photos-- the eaglets appear, to my eye, to be closer to three weeks old than just two weeks. The younger chick would be about three days behind.

It certainly would be nice if we could have had that nest camera in place before all this excitement!

It seems FPL did not carry through on its assurance to have a camera in place in time for this nesting season. The Mayor's Eagle Steering Committee should be meeting soon to obtain more information about the reason for the delay or failure of installation. FPL supposedly had relented in its opposition, and agreed to allow the camera to be placed on the power pole in front of the nest, and were going to seek the cooperation of Comcast and NBC-6 to carry the broadband signal and host a web site.

An alternative would be to place the camera on the high light pole on the north side of the street. It could provide a commanding view of the nest from even higher up. We believe that a governmental entity such as the County or Florida DOT has jurisdiction over it, but ownership and approvals would need to be worked out, and it still would require participation of, and coordination between FPL and Comcast/NBC.