Sighting at Tradewinds Park

ltcoop
I am 90% sure I saw a bald eagle flying over the northeast corner of Tradewinds Park at approx. 3:00 pm this afternoon. I had my daughter in the car with me and she confirmed the sighting with me. Is there a specific organization to pass this info to?

Re: Sighting at Tradewinds Park

It would not be unusual to see adult Bald Eagles anywhere in South Florida at this time of year, as they tend to wander locally. Immature birds are more likely to move more to the north after the nesting season. Was this an adult bird that you believe you saw? If so, the only large raptor that it might be confused with is the Osprey, especially if the Osprey is roosting at a distance and its white undersides and dark tail are not visible-- this sometimes gives the appearance of the white head of an eagle. In flight, the Osprey looks quite distinctive-- slim, flaps more, and has lots of white underneath and wings bent at "elbows." Since yours was flying you are very likely correct in your identification, if you saw thewhite head and tail of an adult bird.

Sometimes a vulture is mistaken for an immature eagle, as both are dark. Note that both Black and Turkey Vultures have quite small heads, and both soar with their wings elevated somewhat in a "V" shape (dihedral). Vultures tend "tilt" as they soar. This is an adaptation that permits them to soar very slowly, which causes one or the other of their wings to often lose lift (stall). The dihedral allows them to quickly recover from such stalls, as the other wing can quickly compensate and rotate the vulture's body into proper alignment. ("V-wings" are also an adaptation in birds that fly low, as a stall can cause them to crash. Note that harriers, nighthawks Golden Eagles and many sea birds exhibit this feature). Bald Eagles soar with quite flat wings, and do not "wobble" or tilt in flight.

I will enter your sighting into the "Eagle Milestones" spreadsheet as an adult Bald Eagle, and will share your report with other Eagle Watch observers.