Single adult flying above nest 10/4

Kelly Smith
About 10am an adult slowly circled above the nest and gradually widened its path, then spiraled higher and to the south.  I could see it looking down over the field as it circled around.  Really beautiful! It didn't appear to be in a hurry to get anywhere.  I haven't seen two adults together, so it is encouraging to hear reports that they are both definitely in the area.

8am-10am, Sun., 4 Oct. 09....both adults on the nest

Trisha
 My previous visits to the nest for this breeding season (minus the eagles) were generously rewarded this morning when both adults were sitting on the nest! Tom, Umberto and I spent a couple hours watching as the eagles moved back and forth between the maleleucas and their nest. At first, one was rearranging sticks and the other adult flew off and perched in the maleleucas for about an hour. The adult on the nest soon flew off to the south and returned a short time later from that same direction with a stick that was placed on the top of the nest, and then after some rearranging, flew to the maleleucas, landing on a dead trunk west of the other adult. They were there about 30 minutes together and then one flew back to the nest and we watched the other as it spiraled higher and higher from east to west over the nest woods. We must have been watching the same adult as Kelly! The adult on the nest had only stayed a short while and had taken off again to the south. They were as exhilarating and beautiful as the first time I saw them last season!

Re: 8am-10am, Sun., 4 Oct. 09....both adults on the nest

serrah46
Nice report Trisha, here are some pics for today 10/4/09

Re: 8am-10am, Sun., 4 Oct. 09....both adults on the nest

Trisha
Thanks Humberto......perfect pictures to illustrate my report....we'll have to do this again!

Re: 8am-10am, Sun., 4 Oct. 09....both adults on the nest

Avian Photographer
are these the ones from the Pines? Are they back?

Re: 8am-10am, Sun., 4 Oct. 09....both adults on the nest

miamigrrl
I wonder if the eagle on the left is the same one I spotted in Miami Lakes.  He hasn't been around in several days.  Here's a map to show the proximity of where they were in Miami Lakes to the Pines nest:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=101075008704092991313.0004754be39977884aff8&ll=25.958971,-80.385246&spn=0.132425,0.264187&t=h&z=13

The couple of times I saw an eagle flying in/out of the area, he was flying from/to the NW.

Re: 8am-10am, Sun., 4 Oct. 09....both adults on the nest

Yes.....these are the Pines eagles......we have been watching them for about 2 wks now around the nest. It may be that they never left to go north like the bald eagles of central and northern FL. Most of the bald eagles in the Keys stay in the area and since our location is in between ours may stay. With all the sightings in Miramar over the summer, I think that it's a good assumption about the Pines nest.

Re: 8am-10am, Sun., 4 Oct. 09....both adults on the nest

Mike Fossler
You could add another marker on your map which includes the Miramar location where the eagles are frequently seen. It is easy to spot on your map - if myou draw a line between the two points you show, it is near the middle. You will see a lake in Miramar along that line which has a small island in it. That island has a small lighthouse where the eagles set.

MF

Re: Single adult flying above nest 10/4

Randy
Great to hear that they are back!! We can start driving down again and see all our friends (with and without feathers).

Randy and Melissa