Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

I received this query from Judith on the South Florida Audubon Website:

"Does anyone know how the Quiet Waters Eagles are doing?!??"

My reply

Hi, Judith-- I have not heard anything since Kit's visit on March 15th, when one of the eaglets was branching. First free flight usually occurs within a week after branching. They may return to the nest to be fed, especially if more than one eaglet successfully fledged. I presume that Quiet Waters Park was subsequently closed due to the Coronavirus restrictions. Since the only clear observation area was from inside the Park, we may never know.

Re: Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

Stephanie5056
I used to go every day and its sad we cant go now😞

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 27, 2020, at 2:42 PM, NewMexiKen [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 I received this query from Judith on the South Florida Audubon Website:

"Does anyone know how the Quiet Waters Eagles are doing?!??"

My reply

Hi, Judith-- I have not heard anything since Kit's visit on March 15th, when one of the eaglets was branching. First free flight usually occurs within a week after branching. They may return to the nest to be fed, especially if more than one eaglet successfully fledged. I presume that Quiet Waters Park was subsequently closed due to the Coronavirus restrictions. Since the only clear observation area was from inside the Park, we may never know.

To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

Hello,

I was able to go to the nest site for the first time since the virus lockdown and got a few shots of the siblings and they are both doing great! The Park is still closed I was able to get in because I am now a registered Broward County Parks Volunteer and was assigned to this nest this year for the Eagle Watch program for reporting on the nest progress. These shots are very far away so the quality is not that great, I wish others could see what I see in my binoculars because they were playing and flipping upside-down and locking talons briefly, it was amazing to see, they seemed to be having a blast! I am including a link to my Nikon site for all the shots.

http://img.gg/9PJ9dHx

Kit

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

Stylechick60
They are beautiful ❣️
Thank you for sharing, Kit!
Hope everyone is staying healthy and sane during this crazy time!

Sent from my iPad

To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

Stylechick60
Excellent shots!

Sent from my iPad

Re: Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

Mike 30
I'm not sure if everybody knows but the park is open. it is only closed on Friday
 you can drive all the way back to the parking lot, but the dog park is closed.  you can see the tree from the gate

Re: Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

lillco27
Didn't know if you knew this, don't know if the eagles are visibile

I'm not sure if everybody knows but the park is open. it is only closed on Friday
 you can drive all the way back to the parking lot, but the dog park is closed.  you can see the tree from the gate

To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

KellyHeffernan Proj Perch
Lil -

The person to ask is Dr. Ken Schneider, copied on here!

Thank you!

Sincerely - Kelly

Kelly Heffernan
SFAS's Project Perch
978-412-5313

On 28.05.2020 09:25, lillco27 [via Bald Eagles of Broward County,
Florida] wrote:

> Didn't know if you knew this, don't know if the eagles are visibile

Lil-- see Kit's photos above. The eaglets are flying free and may visit the nest but they will soon be independent and will likely migrate north to find cooler water. Fish tend to stay deep where the water is cool. Interestingly, there is more oxygen in cool water than warm. Since they are not as skilled as the adults, they may fly as far north as Chesapeake Bay. One eaglet from Palm Beach was tracked all the way up to Maine and may have crossed into Canada as well. The adults in south Florida tend to stay in the general area of the nest all year round.

Link to Kit's post: http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Status-of-Quiet-Waters-nest-since-closure-of-Park-tp7575544p7575551.html'

Kit's great photos of the free-flying eaglets:

http://img.gg/9PJ9dHx

http://img.gg/HYgXDNH

Re: Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

lillco27
Ken, thank you so much for the update and information. I usually check out the Pembroke Pines nest since it's closer to my house but was wondering about the Quiet Waters family. Great photos Kit!
Lill

Kit's great photos of the free-flying eaglets: http://img.gg/HYgXDNH

To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: Status of Quiet Waters nest since closure of Park

naturegirl
Thx for the wonderful update Kit glad they had 2 eaglets this time