Subadult Bald Eagle in our Miramar yard this morning

Subadult Bald Eagle in our Miramar yard this morning

We live about 1 1/2 miles SE of the Pembroke Pines Bald Eagle nest.

A Bald Eagle in nearly adult plumage appeared on the lawn across the lake from our home this morning. Just before, I heard an Osprey calling for quite a long time. Perhaps the eagle made the Osprey drop the fish and it landed on the lawn.

Here, it takes off with a prey item-- a fish (probably a tilapia).

The eagle flew low, then swooped up to a roof two doors down.

Note the dark tips to the tail feathers.

Note some white feathers on its lower back and sides, as well as scattered on its wings. The bird's head appears totally white. It is probably 4 years old, as they usually have fully white head and tail by the time they are five years old.

The eagle ate the entire fish while perched on the roof.

 After finishing the fish, the eagle roosted on the peak of the roof for at least a half hour.

Re: Subadult Bald Eagle in our Miramar yard this morning

Jill W
I give up!!!  I drove 45 minutes each way, got bitten by a red ant, spent a lot of time in the sun at the Pembroke Pines nest area trying to see behind those little trees blocking the view and did not see a single eagle.  You get to see one from your home and get excellent pictures of it!?  Not fair!

Just kidding.  I'm happy for you, really.  Wonder where the subadult came from and where he or she is going to end up when it is the right time for making a family.

Jill

Re: Subadult Bald Eagle in our Miramar yard this morning

Good point, Jill-- we should pay special attention to the tail feathers of any eagle that may appear at the nest. This bird is within the territory of the Pembroke Pines pair. In fact, a couple of years ago they copulated on the roof of the house where I first saw this bird on the lawn.

It could be a usurper (family wrecker), so keep an eye out.

We arrived back from Illinois on Wednesday, and both Mary Lou and I have miserable colds. We hope to get out to the nest before very long.

Ken

Re: Subadult Bald Eagle in our Miramar yard this morning

Kelly Smith
Or what if it is an earlier fledgling from the Pines Blvd. nest? There were reports of eagles in the area for many years before the nest was found.  Maybe this is one coming home to set up a new territory.  Too bad we don't have a transmitter on it.  It would be so fun to know!

I'm glad to hear that there will be more eyes out there watching the nest.  I have been surprised that I have not seen both adults more frequently in the mornings.  I drive by the nest every morning around 7-7:30, and only occasionally see one eagle.  It seems to me that in previous years they were both regularly posted in the maleluecas about that time of day. After not seeing a single eagle for about 2 weeks, I did see one late last week.  It has been several weeks - maybe a month or more, since I've seen the two adults together.