Sunday, 1 Nov. 09, 7:30-10am, One adult in nest area

Sunday, 1 Nov. 09, 7:30-10am, One adult in nest area

Trisha
When I arrived the adult was in the favored tree along the wires, west of the nest. It stayed there over an hour, and as the sun rose higher and the heat increased, the adult flew east through the woods, circling, and finally landed in the tall pine in the northeast corner of the nest woods. Just as Tom, Humberto and I hustled down there, it flew to the other favored perch along the wires, just east of the nest. It tucked back in a shady spot on the branch, panting a little in the heat.

I watched the adult very closely, noticing any looks or movements. Several people walked up for photos, some even in the grassy area. The eagle intently watched, but never appeared threatened or made a sudden move away from the approaching human. Several very loud groups of motorcycles also roared by with the same response from the eagle....interest, but no signs of alarm. I contrasted this response with an Osprey that I tried to photograph on the way to the nest just outside my neighborhood in Weston, that was sitting on top of a light pole along the road. As I pulled off the road the Osprey seemed to tense and watch me with a very concerned look. I stayed in the car hoping it would stay on the pole so I could get a picture. As I put the window down it began calling in a startled manner and as I lifted the camera, quickly took off in the opposite direction. I have had the same response as the Osprey from most other birds of prey.

I wonder if the eagles hold their ground as we approach due to protecting the nest area or just so many people with cameras taking pictures that they are used to us? I frequently see the Osprey on the light pole and it flies each time I try to get a photo....whether from the car or on foot. Are the eagles so at the top of the "food chain" that they have less fear than other birds? Were they so used to people that they chose the nest location along a busy highway, or did their tolerance of humans develop after their choice of a nest location? Just some questions and/or food for thought that occurred to me as I watched the adult watching us yesterday morning.

Re: Sunday, 1 Nov. 09, 7:30-10am, One adult in nest area

Jill W
Hmmm..  Those are some great questions for our eagle experts.  I hope you get a lot of replies to this post.
Jill

Re: Sunday, 1 Nov. 09, 7:30-10am, One adult in nest area

Carolyn J
You do have to wonder why our eagles are so ok with us being close to them. I do feel they have gotten used to us from previously, but have to wonder if they have been closely encountering us humans even before this nest site.

Re: Sunday, 1 Nov. 09, 7:30-10am, One adult in nest area

Mrs. Smith's Classes
I began watching the eagles from well before the time they became "famous" and I have to say, they never have showed signs of concern at the approach of humans.  I was very concerned as the crowds grew, but to my surprise, I have never even heard of a report of their showing concern.