Sunday, 17 May 09, 8:30-11 am

Trisha
When I arrived, the "early birds", Carolyn and Tom were already there. They hadn't seen a feeding, but the juveniles were flying around and landing in various pines to the east of the nest. Lucky for me, they returned soon after I arrived and landed in the pines again. The eagles must have felt like fashion models as we snapped shot after shot, along with a new watcher, Umberto, who has been observing various adult eagles in other locations in Broward County. Our eagle "babies" are losing their black beaks and are acquiring the orange coloration of their parents.

A short rain shower later and the juveniles took off as an adult brought a meal. In a terribly fuzzy, very enlarged picture I took we could see the adult carrying a fuzzy, gray, roundly shaped "something" that fit right between its feet. It was interesting in that the eagle was holding it very differently than a fish. Fish hang down and are clearly visible. This meal was held in its talons, tight up against the underside of the bird.  It would be hard to see from any angle other than from the rear...where my shot was taken. I think that must be why so often the adults fly in and we don't see any prey, but the siblings are definitely eating after the parent departs the nest.

I didn't know if anyone else had reported that the big wooden signs were removed last week.  The paper signage was falling off and not really visible anymore. Hopefully we can acquire something of a more permanent nature, as visitors still come to the nest, many first timers, who now don't know where to look.

Re: Sunday, 17 May 09, 8:30-11 am

Carolyn J
Trisha, You posted a picture; and a great one at that! Good job, girl...

Re: Sunday, 17 May 09, 8:30-11 am

Trisha
Thanks Carolyn...it's not really the result I'd hoped for. The original photo I took is very crisp (I even put it on my desktop.) I had to downsize the original so it would let me post the image. I still don't know how to get a photo to stay clear in a post...but for me...a small milestone never the less. Any suggestions are welcome!

Re: Sunday, 17 May 09, 8:30-11 am

Jill W
Trisha-
That is a GREAT picture!  Congrats!  I'm proud of you.
I love that the eaglets are hanging out together and your pic shows that.
Jill

Re: Sunday, 17 May 09, 8:30-11 am

That is a beautiful photo of the youngsters, Trish. Maybe they will still be there for us when we return to Florida Wednesday evening.

Re: Sunday, 17 May 09, 8:30-11 am

Carolyn J
Ken, I'm sure they will be. (Here Wed PM) I don't think the kids are in any big hurry to leave from the looks of the activity in and around the nest.
Carolyn