Sunday MAR 30 - Honor is branching and appears ready for flight

Sunday MAR 30 - Honor is branching and appears ready for flight

The older eaglet (Honor) was 11 weeks old yesterday. She was climbing out on the branches when I arrived at the nest about 9:00 AM.

Bald Eaglet Honor branching 2-20140330

At 9:20 AM she flew down to join Glory on the nest.

Bald Eaglet Honor flies to nest 20140330

Although both eaglets are about the same size, the older is still distinguished by a greater amount of white on her breast.

Bald Eaglets Honor and Glory 20140330

Five minutes later the male parent (Pride) arrived with an unidentified prey item. The eaglets started eating, but either finished it quickly or needed help butchering the prey.

Bald Eagles Honor Glory Pride 2-20140330

They then started calling and begging insistently. They are both visibly larger than the male parent, supporting our opinion that both eaglets are females.

Bald Eagles Honor Glory Pride 20140330

Glory was very demanding.  Pride then took a perch just above and to the right of the nest

Bald Eaglet Glory begging from male adult Pride  20140330

Honor appears ready to take her first flight in any moment. I was a bit concerned that the wind was coming out of the northwest. Since they usually take off into the wind, the electrical wires may pose a hazard. Please try to check up on the eaglets' welfare every chance you get, even if it means merely stopping by for a moment.

Re: Sunday MAR 30 - Honor is branching and appears ready for flight

Tom D.
Hi, Ken I had stopped by the nest a couple of times Sunday and saw the helicoptering as well. I stopped by the nest in the late afternoon and saw three men inside the barrier's with one of them sitting in a chair on the sidewalk aiming his camera up at the nest, this seemed to result in almost a traffic jam as 6-7 cars stopped to look at the commotion with quite a bit of people getting out of their cars and viewing from inside the barrier.
What is the law on this?
It seemed very disrespectful and disturbing at the same time.
Tom

Re: Sunday MAR 30 - Honor is branching and appears ready for flight

MyEagle13
you're the second person reporting this i'm gonna go tomorrow a couple of time to see if i see something i wanna make sure our eaglets are safe if i see somehing unusual i think i should call the police dont you think?
Myeagle13

Re: Sunday MAR 30 - Honor is branching and appears ready for flight

Anyone on the sidewalk is violating a local ordinance. I doubt this would have any adverse effect upon the eagles unless people are crowding up, moving about and making a lot of noise. However they should not be doing it because the City has posted signs prohibiting pedestrians on the walk. It is up to local authorities to enforce the restriction, so it is not a good idea to "play cop" unless you wish to point out the possible danger (especially to people) of practices such as parking in the roadway or along the restricted shoulder. It is a matter of personal judgment as to whether to call the police as they have a lot more important things to do. The City has been good about allowing observers to park on the north side and I would hate to see the parking and viewing restrictions expanded just because the City is getting lots of complaints. We could have been required to park as far away as the Post Office parking lot.

Re: Sunday MAR 30 - Honor is branching and appears ready for flight

MyEagle13
i undertand and i got your point we dont wanna do a lot of complains i just was saying because someone here coment about people coming from inside the nest or something i personally dont thing that for been on the sidewalk taking pictures would be a danger for our eagles they r use to se people around and not even the noise from the big traffic looks to bother them other wise they would't come back for some meny years, i was only concern because someone make coment about seen people coming from inside myself took pictures on the past on the side walk to joy and pride they dont even take a look at me jajaja.
Myeagle13