Sunday morning, 31 January 2010

Trisha

Arrived at 8:45am on a cool, gray morning to find both adults at the nest, the female standing on it and the male perched on a nest tree branch just above and right of the nest. The female was busy on the nest, doing all the usual activities, no sign of little heads. The male was preening and looking around on his perch.

At 9:05am an Osprey pair entered the area above the nest, quite high. The male was clearly bothered by the intruders, loudly vocalizing very rapid, short call sounds. The Ospreys answered back and quickly left the area.

The male kept looking up and all around for about 10 minutes and then I could tell he was readying to leave, which he did......flying somewhat through the trees, as you see. He circled the field one time and I thought he might land but headed north and flew out of sight. I felt it might be a food run so I waited until just before 10:00am, but he did not return. From 9:20am until I left, the female remained low on the nest, occasionally peering out over the rim.

Re: Sunday morning, 31 January 2010

Jill W
Thanks, Trisha.  Very interesting.

I've never heard vocalizing between one of the eagles and other birds in the area.  I hope to one of these days.

Jill