Sunday morning NOV 22 - One adult at nest

Sunday morning NOV 22 - One adult at nest

Tom Mitchell asked me to post this. He will be following up with some photos:

Sunday morning I stopped by the Eagles nest around 6:50 and the area was clear. I waited in the car on the north side and about 7:00 one Eagle flew into the nest from the Southwest with some food ( could not tell what it was).

Within five minutes a Mocker or Blue Jay flew on the branch above the nest and the Eagle took off to the Southwest. I took my chair out and sat in the median ( don't know if it's legal?) and around 7:45 the Eagle flew in from the Southeast and circled the front Pine trees with some nesting material ( i have poor pictures because of overcast skies) and left the material in the nest, the Eagle flew off once again to the Southwest after five minutes.

At 8:00 it arrived again from the Southeast but flew directly to the nest it had some more nesting material and it seamed to be stomping it down with it's feet. It flew off again after 6 or 7 minutes and never returned again as I left at 8:30. I will forward all of you a picture once I down load it from my camera as i have not had time yet.

Tom.

Re: Sunday morning NOV 22 - One adult at nest

I just updated the observation spreadsheet and noted that no one has reported seeing two adults at the nest at the same time since November 11. Of course, Tom may have seen two, but there is no way of knowing.

The Eagle Milestone Spreadsheet (PDF) is available at this link.

Re: Sunday morning NOV 22 - One adult at nest

Tom Mitchell writes, in answer to my observation that no one has seen two eagles at the site at the same time since November 11th:

Ken, I have noticed for the last two Sundays that it was the same Eagle. If you look at the stills and flight shots we have the Eagle's far right tail feather has a brown tip. I will go back and check other pictures too see if the other Eagle has the same brown mark or not.

Compare the [above] flight shots with the nesting material and the one attached from the branch breaking series from last Sunday [below]. The brown tip on the tail feather is the same.

Re: Sunday morning NOV 22 - One adult at nest

Tom, the eagle I photographed on October 29 also had a brown tip on its right outer tail feather.

Re: Sunday morning NOV 22 - One adult at nest

Trisha
The eagle in the series of stick collecting shots that I took a week ago also has the brown tip on the farthest right tail feather! Wonder where the other adult is or if we are just missing it?