The first chick leaves? Tuesday 4/13/10

Carolyn J
Well, it appears that "Lucky" has flown the coop. Trisha, Al and I looked hard and long for 3 chicks, but could only see 2. Al had posted earlier today that he'd only seen 2, also. We know that all 3 were seen Mon. And, if we think of last year, when the babies left, they left early in the AM. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the first to fledge is doing ok. Last year they were both gone for about 48 hours, when they first fledged, so I guess we go by that, and hope to see him/her in the next day or two.

Re: The first chick leaves? Tuesday 4/13/10

You are right, Carolyn-- the chicks are at the expected age for fledging. While they may lack flight skills, they will be able to "ladder" up the branches if they fall to the ground and are not injured. As we saw last year, the parents will coax them back to the nest with food, and if all is well they will not go missing for long.