The nest Tuesday 5/12/09

Carolyn J
Where do I start? Maybe I'll start at the end and say it was an exhilarating day on all counts!
Ok, Trisha, I'm trying to decipher your notes...
Al was there at 8:25AM, with Hope in the top of a pine (the nest tree?), and Justice in the nest. At 8:30 Justice flew east, Hope stayed put. Trisha and I arrived moments apart at about 9:30. At 9:35 an adult flew in with a food drop, with Justice hot on her/his trail. Hope of course came right in from her high perch. It seemed to be a small portion, as the chicks ate quickly, and did not seem satisfied. They continued to be very vocal. We all felt that the parent had to be close by, but unseen by us, for them to be calling so much. The chicks then rested until 10:20, when someone flew west. This chick returned almost immediately, as the parent made another drop of a fish. At 10:37 both juveniles flew east, then soared high to the north.
We were all set to leave then and were crossing the street, when over our heads from the north came all 3 of them, heading for the nest! The parent made another drop then, which was at about 10:50, then flew to the old favorite perch of the pine with the long vertical branch to the east of the nest. The parent stayed there for about 10 minutes (with no hassle from the mockers or grackles), then flew south. At 11:22 1 kid flew west, the sibling stayed behind. At 11:40 Justice flew to the "night perch" to the east of the nest. Then, at 11:45 a parent made yet another food drop! Justice came straight in from his perch to the east, and Hope appeared out of nowhere to feed again. They were both in the nest when we all left at noon.
4 food drops in about a 2 hour window - amazing! The job of finding food for these growing kids must be exhausting for the parents.
Trisha and I weren't done with birds yet. We captured an injured cattle egret (broken wing), on Sheridan by 75, and took it to Flamingo Gardens. We were told that it was an old injury, as the break was all calcified; so the wing is to remain that way. Now our little friend will be part of the free flight aviary they have.
I can't think of a better way to spend my day off...

Re: The nest Tuesday 5/12/09

Kathy
Wow what a great post!!  I wish that I had more time to visit them, work work!!
Thank you so much for your post it is wonderful for those of us who can't be there!!!

Kathy
live your life don't watch it go by . . .

Re: The nest Tuesday 5/12/09

AquaLou
Thanks, Carolyn, for the comprehensive and interesting report.  Looks like the birds kept you and Trisha busy for quite a while.  Please keep us posted.
Lou - from Ocala

Re: The nest Tuesday 5/12/09

You did such an awesome job describing our unbelievable morning at the nest I just had to have some popcorn while I was reading it!