Third Adult at nest on afternoon Saturday JAN 18

Third Adult at nest on afternoon Saturday JAN 18

While I was watching the nest this morning around 8:30, Leslie joined me and reported that a new adult Bald Eagle had flown into the nest tree while the male (Pride) was sitting on the nest and the female (Joy) was roosting above the nest. She said the moe pair abandoned the nest for a few minutes as they chased the new adult away. There was lots of calling. The interloper reappeared and they both again chased after her/him.

This had been Leslie's first visit to this nest, but she is a "bird lover," and did not know about this FORUM. She said the new bird had a white head and tail just like the other adults. She showed me photos and a couple of videos of the encounter. She promised to post them here.

Re: Third Adult at nest on afternoon Saturday JAN 18

Liza
On Sat. the 18th, Pride was at the nest from midday on,. Around 3:30 or so Pride got very antsy. Made it very clear something was not right and disturbing him. I saw the Eagle above but wondered why he was upset if it was Joy. I thought he was making all the noise so they could switch duties. But I kept wondering why Joy didn't respond and Pride was made it clear he was very upset. Then Pride decided to take off and leave the nest to see him go towards the top of the tree then running off the Eagle. That's when I realized it wasn't Joy at all but an Intruder . The intruder did come back , finally it took Joy to join the war and both Joy and Pride finally ran him off .
Intruder :

Here you can see Pride approaching the Intruder

Pride running him off

Liza

Re: Third Adult at nest on afternoon Saturday JAN 18

Liza
After Pride chased and ran off the Intruder the Intruder came right back. Pride was even more upset and truly letting it known. Finally Joy joined in to run the Intruder off once and for all .
Very upset !

Joy Joins in

And they chase the Adult Eagle away ,.

Liza

Re: Third Adult at nest on afternoon Saturday JAN 18

Splendid photos and documentation of this exciting encounter, Liza. I wonder whether the intruder was male or female. A couple of years ago a female nearly killed one that was sitting on eggs on the Gulf Coast. I do not know whether this behavior is more common in males or females. I also am thinking about the lone eagle seen a couple of times near Miramar Pkwy & Flamingo Rd.

Re: Third Adult at nest on afternoon Saturday JAN 18

Here is a link to the story about the female eagle that nearly killed one that was sitting on eggs and then took the male as a new mate.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Palm-Harbor-FL-Two-females-one-male-bald-eagle-fight-over-mating-nest-tp4100297.html

More about territorial conflicts.

http://audubonoffloridanews.org/?p=3469

Re: Third Adult at nest on afternoon Saturday JAN 18

Liza
Thanks Ken, When I took a good look at it through the binoculars while it was sitting up on the tree the head looked more so like a male but then I don't have the experience . I do find it interesting that we are seeing more Eagles, the 2 young adults that I spotted early Nov. and the young Juvi that Lisa saw a couple of weeks ago . Thanks for sharing the link , will read up on it now !
Liza