This morning, Wednesday April 15

We arrived about 9:00 AM. Neither chick was on the nest, and no adults or chicks were visible nearby or in the Melaleucas. At 9:15 an adult flew into the nest, followed very closely by one of the chicks. Just as the adult was dropping the food, the other chick came in and almost knocked her out of the nest. The adult quickly roosted on the tree to the east. Hope began eating, and Justice was watching. As soon as Hope lifted her head up to take a break, Justice quickly grabbed a bit of food. They began to squabble, and then Justice kept to the side. Justice tried this several times but was rebuffed. At 10 AM Hope must have had enough to eat, and flew off. Justice began picking at the leavings. At 10:15 it began to pour rain. We returned to the car, leaving Justice on the nest and the adult female still roosting on the tree to the east. The sky stayed dark and rain continued, so we left at 10:30 AM.

Here, Justice kept calling as if wanting to be fed, while Hope ignored him and continued eating:

Re: This morning, Wednesday April 15

Jill W
I wish Hope would discover how exciting it can be to catch her own prey!  Or, maybe Justice will figure it out first so he can get a full stomach.
Great report and photo, as usual, Ken.
Jill

Re: This morning, Wednesday April 15

Kelly Smith
It is surprising to me how often the adults are immediately followed by the "kids".  I wonder if they are hanging out together, or the "kids" see the adults fly in and come runnin'?  If they are indeed touring the countryside with the adults, could it be that they are really being taught how to hunt, more than it was previously thought? HMMM.... satellite tracking devices would be so handy about now!

Re: This morning, Wednesday April 15

Trisha
 I have really been looking for evidence of the family flying around together and so far really haven't seen it. When the young come into the nest followed by or just before an adult it is almost always preceded by calling that sounds like it comes from the trees behind the nest and to the west. I guess it's possible that they could be flying together and as they approach the nest the kids get excited and call because its mealtime.....but it just seems more like a greeting. It also appears that whenever an adult leaves the nest, it is to preen alone in a pine and then fly off solo.

 It really would be so interesting to compare data on urban eagles to those completely in the wild. Even though it doesn't seem like the adults are afraid or bothered by cars, humans, etc., maybe it makes them more cautious and protective in handling the eaglets once they fly? I keep remembering what the first FWC officer said that came to look for Hope the first day.....some young eagles don't return to the nest after their first flight. Also, I've read from Ken and others that the hunting is more instinctual than taught. With ours...that may not kick in until the parental food delivery shuts down. Another factor could be that food is so plentiful in the range area that the adults can find plenty to feed both themselves and their young for a longer time than at other locations. It's fun to speculate, if nothing else!

Re: This morning, Wednesday April 15

Kelly Smith
I, too, have read that the fledglings learn to hunt on their own.  It just seems so incredible that they could learn this skill on their own!  The thought of our "kids" having to fend for themselves when the adults leave the area is frightening.  I can't imagine how they will do it.  One comforting thought is that the adults seem to have plenty of chow to pick from, so hopefully the kids won't have too hard a time of it when it's up to them to get their own dinner.