Thursday. January 21 -- EHD minus one!

Mary Lou and I arrived at the nest around 10 AM and observed for 30 minutes. We only saw one eagle, and it was on the nest. It also appeared to be panting (its mouth was open, but I could not see any "gular flutter," a vibrating movement of the throat that may be seen when a bird is actively trying to cool itself).

For the first 10 minutes or so, the bird was facing to the left (east) and was quite high in the nest, up enough to see its entire head and neck, as well as some of the brown body feathers.

Then, the bird turned to face to the right, and for a while appeared busy looking down under its body to the front.  It could have been turning the eggs, or might this be a sign that an egg is pipping?

The bird then made a third of a turn to face mostly to the left again, and appeared lower down on the nest from that point until we departed.

We used the Electronic PDF data entry form, and automatically e-mailed our observation report to Kelly Smith.

Re: Thursday. January 21 -- EHD minus one!

Lisa baumbach Reardon, Broward Audubon
I have got to get back out there this weekend- it has been too long!

Miss you all and miss the Eagels-

Probably early Sunday afternoon I'll be there......