Today (11/7)

danicox
This morning right as the park opened.  They have been on the nest the last couple of times I have gone.  Does this suggest eggs?  If so, when are babies due? 😍

Re: Today (11/7)

Stylechick60
Great shots!

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 7, 2020, at 10:38 AM, danicox [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 This morning right as the park opened.  They have been on the nest the last couple of times I have gone.  Does this suggest eggs?  If so, when are babies due? 😍

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Today-11-7-tp7575658.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Today (11/7)

Very nice photos, danicox! Observers cannot be certain about the timing of egg-laying. A few days before the first egg is laid the female will spend more time on the nest, often down quite low. If she tends to get up and fly off the nest periodically it is probable that she is "broody" but had not yet laid.

Once she goes down deep and stays there for a prolonged period of time it may indicate the event. The best confirmation is when the male is permitted to exchange incubation duties. This may happen at intervals of an hour or two or longer. While  incubating, the adult may change position and also tend to the eggs, turning them at intervals. This usually occurs about every 20-30 minutes.

The pair will rarely leave the eggs uncovered, especially in cooler or stormy weather. Incidentally, when the first egg hatches after about 35 days of incubation, the adult will sit higher to protect the eaglet but still provide enough warmth to the unhatched egg.

Re: Today (11/7)

Stylechick60
So very interesting!  Thank you

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 7, 2020, at 10:57 AM, NewMexiKen [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Very nice photos, danicox! Observers cannot be certain about the timing of egg-laying. A few days before the first egg is laid the female will spend more time on the nest, often down quite low. If she tends to get up and fly off the nest periodically it is probable that she is "broody" but had not yet laid.

Once she goes down deep and stays there for a prolonged period of time it may indicate the event. The best confirmation is when the male is permitted to exchange incubation duties. This may happen at intervals of and hour or two or longer. While  incubating, the adult may change position and also tend to the eggs, turning them at intervals. This usually occurs about every 20-30 minutes.

The pair will rarely leave the eggs uncovered, especially in cooler or stormy weather. Incidentally, when the first egg hatches after about 35 days of incubation, the adult will sit higher to protect the eaglet but still provided enough warmth to the unhatched egg.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Today-11-7-tp7575658p7575659.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Today (11/7)

Drlester3
It takes about 35 days till they hatch. If there are egs one bird should be on the nest nearly all the time

On Nov 7, 2020, at 10:38 AM, danicox [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 This morning right as the park opened.  They have been on the nest the last couple of times I have gone.  Does this suggest eggs?  If so, when are babies due? 😍

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Today-11-7-tp7575658.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Today-11-7-tp7575658p7575660.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: Today (11/7)

Rockitglider
Hello,

What would suggest eggs is the female would be sitting deep in the nest where you most likely would not be able to see her, and when they switch duties they would not leave the eggs uncovered very long if at all. This net for the last 3 years has hatched their eggs around December 25th so the eggs should be laid near the end of November. I looks like they are working on the nest from your pictures, I guess it could be eggs, but we would see the bigger one the female on the nest almost all the time.

Kit

Re: Today (11/7)

Stylechick60
Exciting !

Sent from my iPhone

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Today-11-7-tp7575658p7575663.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Today (11/7)

danicox
There was definitely nest work going on, even though I didn’t see them bringing in anything new.

Re: Today (11/7)

eeyoresmiles1967
Danicox.. are you out in a canoe taking these pictures? i go there alot and cannot see them from the shore.

Re: Today (11/7)

danicox
I have a 600mm lens.  I can't see them without the magnification except when the one went flying.  These were actually taken further away by the seating to the right of where the canoes go in.  This was to get a better angle, when I was over by the canoe rack, there were branches in the way.  I am thinking about heading over there shortly.