Trisha's fantastic series of photos

Trisha is still having problems posting photos, so she asked me to place this series on the FORUM for her. She documented a very interesting aspect of the eagle's nest building behavior. I have seen Red-tailed Hawks do this in New Mexico, and heard the loud cracking sound when the branches were broken off a dead tree.

Here is Trisha's own narrative:

The determined looking adult flew to a dead tree not too far from the nest tree and landed, only staying for a very brief time. The next photos show the purpose of this short flight as the eagle collects a stick to contribute to the rebuilding of the nest for this years breeding season.

With the desired branch in its sight, the eagle dives and twists to grab it.

With a very loud crack the branch is broken off.

With the branch detached from the tree, the adult begins the short trip back to the nest.

Flying back to the nest with the new stick tightly secured.

Re: Trisha's fantastic series of photos

Randy
Great photos!  It does make it hard to drive 45 miles to see our fine feathered friends from the north side of the road.  However I have seen all the things the DOT has described...and I don't know the answer.
Randy

Re: Trisha's fantastic series of photos

I agree, Randy. If bureaucrats had selected this nesting site for the eagles, I would be very angry with them about their poor planning. However, it was the eagles who found a site that met their needs for not only a nest, but also convenient foraging and roosting areas.

The eagles were smart enough to place their nest on public land in a city that had already declared itself as a bird sanctuary. The city promptly fenced and posted the area, and the power company placed warning devices on the lines and insulated the poles before even being asked by eagle lovers.

From the birds' point of view, the planning could hardly have been better!