Tues. late afternoon nest watching

Jill W
When I arrived at 4:15, Fernando was the only watcher there.

I saw an adult in the dead trees to the west and both chicks were standing on the nest.  They were wet as there was drizzling rain at the time.

The clouds were scary looking and there was some thunder.  I decided to spend a little time in the car until the threat of lightning lessened a bit.  It was about 25 minutes until the sky cleared up.

Later, when they dried up a bit, the eaglets did a little jumping sideways and flapping, but not much.

An adult flew to the nest at 5:50, but appeared to deliver nothing and it flew away after about 15 seconds.  After it left, the chicks did not lower their heads or appear to be eating anything.

To my surprise, there WAS a feeding at 7:10.  I have not seen one that late in quite a while.  One of the chicks (probably Justice) stood aside and stared into the distance while the other one chowed down.  I couldn't see that Justice was even trying to get the food away from the other chick.

When I left, other watchers observed both adults in the dead trees to the west at the same time, so all four were seen at the end of the day.

Jill

Re: Tues. late afternoon nest watching

Jill W
I edited this post, as I do frequently, because I made some yucky typos and mistakes such as the spelling of the name of the younger chick.  *sigh*

Jill

Re: Tues. late afternoon nest watching

Interesting! The smaller eaglet must not have a Type A personality!

Thanks for braving the elements!

Ken Schneider
Miramar, Florida & North Aurora, Illinois

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Eagle Nest: http://www.rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)