Tuesday., 03/20/2012 - Both adults on nest with eaglet

Tuesday., 03/20/2012 - Both adults on nest with eaglet

tczig
This post was updated on .
I was at the bald eagle nest today for about an hour and a half.  One adult was on the nest the entire time, and the other adult was on the branch above (I didn't realize that until I saw it flapping).  The eaglet must have been sleeping because I didn't see it at first; but, then the adult on the upper branch flew into the nest for a few minutes.  That one then flew to a nearby tree, while the other adult stayed at the nest.  Then, the eaglet was visible.  After a few minutes, the adult that had been on the nest the entire time few away and I got a photo of the eaglet.

Re: Tuesday (not Monday), 03/20/2012 - Both adults on nest with eaglet

Your photos are beautiful! The wind seemed to keep the branches between us and the birds no matter where we stood.

We checked the nest at about 9:45 AM today. A few minutes after we arrived an adult brought in unidentified prey. The eaglet was begging loudly, but it assumed a submissive posture, staying low in the nest and passively waiting for the adult to offer the food. This is in sharp contrast with the previous broods. At this age, the parents were practically driven off the nest as soon as they brought in food. We wonder whether this behaviour relates to the fact the eaglet does not have to compete with siblings and there is no reward for being aggressive.

On arrival the eaglet looked alert and was calling as if hungry.

Here, the eaglet waits patiently while the adult tears at the prey.

When being fed, the eaglet stays very low in the nest.

We never got any good views of the eaglet. Both adults briefly roosted together in the tall pine along the road east of the nest. They were hidden among the branches, but I got a good head shot.

Re: Tuesday (not Monday), 03/20/2012 - Both adults on nest with eaglet

tczig
Yes, TUESDAY!  (Today)  I corrected my error.

When it was windy out this morning, I decided to visit the nest.  Otherwise, that one big tree hides it.  The wind wasn't too strong, but every now and again it moved the tree perfectly!  This is the first time I saw the eaglet; I had only seen the adults.

Why do you suppose they only had 1 this year?  Year before last, they had 3 - and the other 2 years had 2.  I also had never seen the adult(s) sit on the nest for so long.  In years gone by, they bring the food, then leave.

Julie