Tuesday, Feb 14 -- Only one eaglet (very hungry)

Tuesday, Feb 14 -- Only one eaglet (very hungry)

This morning we watched the nest for a little over an hour, starting about 9:30 AM. The adult female was roosting on a horizontal limb above the nest. We could see the top of the head of one eaglet on the nest.

A sub-adult Red-shouldered Hawk flew in and perched about 10 feet above the eagle. The eagle called briefly but otherwise seemed not to pay attention to the hawk, which flew off after a few minutes.

The male eagle suddenly appeared high over the nest, approaching from the south. He appeared to be carrying prey, but he continued in a NW direction. The female flew after him and both disappeared in the distance.

Shortly thereafter the female had returned to roost in a dead Mealaeuca trunk just west of the nest. I ran over to photograph her as Mary Lou continued to watch the nest. (I could see no sign of injury to its face as I had suspected earlier). The male then appeared on the nest, presumably coming in from behind.

The male tore at the prey, whcih appeared to be a white bird, and fed the chick. I took over 200 photos, trying to see if there may be a second eaglet, but they showed only a single offspring. Photographing the bably eagle was like spelling "banana;" I didn't know when to stop!

RE: Tuesday, Feb 14 -- Only one eaglet (very hungry)

barrynh

http://www.jessan.com/Wildlife_camera_diagram.cfm

Ken, these are great. Surprising that the eagle was tolerant of the hawk. See the link above – it’s of a SFla company that has done nestcams. I got their name and number from a friend who owns The Energy Store in Hollywood, and I left a vmail. So we found a local systems integrator who has done nestcams!

Barry N. Heimlich

954-963-3564

barrynh@...

[...]

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

This email was sent by NewMexiKen (via Nabble)
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion

RE: Tuesday, Feb 14 -- Only one eaglet (very hungry)

Nancy B
These are great shots of the adult feeding the baby!