Tuesday, February 2, 2010 - 5:05pm to 5:35pm

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 - 5:05pm to 5:35pm

vdelauz
Today's observation was another very uneventful one. One of the eagles was in the nest facing west for the entire time. Since I did not see the other eagle during this time period, I could not tell the sex of the eagle in the nest. There was absolutely no wind to speak of, but because of the recent rainfall, humidity was very high. I guess this fact, combined with the possibility of cached food in the nest, caused what seemed to be a high concentration of gnats pestering the eagle in the nest. This is my opinion because the eagle would not stop shaking its head from side to side. At 5:17 and at 5:33, the eagle turned its head to the east and then down into the nest, as if it were moving or somehow tending to its chick(s). As I was leaving, I heard the machine-gun pecking of a woodpecker in the area, but could not visually locate it.

For the record, here's a not-too-good pic from today's observation...