Tuesday, January 19-- Incubation day #32

Tuesday, January 19-- Incubation day #32

Only three days (on average) before the eggs hatch-- start looking for signs of behavioral change when the eggs do hatch. Friday, January 22 is the "EHD" (Estimated Hatch Date). Possible indications of hatching are the brooding bird will sit up higher in the nest, and both birds may stare down into the nest. Bringing in small food scraps is a sure sign that an eaglet has hatched.

This morning Mary Lou and I watched for a little over a half hour after 9:30 AM. When we arrived there was one eagle on the nest, and none in the melaleucas to the west. The bird on the nest was sitting a bit higher and looking towards the right (west). We could see its entire head and a bit of its brown body, which we though to be a bit unusual. After about 10 minutes the bird rotated to face almost to the left (NE). Its head was then barely visible, leading us to believe that the nest rim may be a bit higher on the left and may account for the difference.

We checked the "melaleuca graveyard" again before we left, and were surprised to find an adult roosting there in about the usual position fairly near the road. I photographed it and could not see any sign of the brown tip on the far right tail feather that marks the male, so we presume this one was the female.

Re: Tuesday, January 19-- Incubation day #32

Trisha
Wonderful photos and description, Ken. I hope I can get by tomorrow and look for the changes in behavior that you have described.

Re: Tuesday, January 19-- Incubation day #32

Jill W
Nice pics, Ken.  Thanks for explaining what behaviour changes we need to look for if an egg hatches.

Jill