Tuesday, March 30 -- Three eaglets in nest!

Tuesday, March 30 -- Three eaglets in nest!

After the heavy winds yesterday morning I was concerned about the eaglets. When I arrived at 12 noon I could only see one. The female came in with a white bird (looks like a Cattle Egret) but could only see two chicks. At home, this image provides reassurance that all three eaglets are in the nest. Note the bill of the more reclusive (presumably Courage, the youngest) chick to the right, behind the dominant one (which may be the second-hatched, Chance). The nest appears to be in good shape despite the storm.

This is a critical time, as they will fledge at 11-12 weeks of age. The oldest will be 10 weeks old this week on Friday, April 2.

Re: Tuesday, March 30 -- Three eaglets in nest!

Georgia
Shortly after I arrived at noon, one of the parents made a quick food drop off.  Ken reported that he hadn't seen all three eaglets and I couldn't see all three either.  At 1:50, a parent flew in with a fish.  I was happy to see the parent feeding the youngest.  Pictures confirmed that all three are doing fine.  The parent flew into a tree to the east and stayed quite some time, preening.  When I left at 3:00, all three eaglets were resting in the nest.

Re: Tuesday, March 30 -- Three eaglets in nest!

Thanks, Georgia. As you know, I left the nest today, convinced that there were only two youngsters. Then I displayed the pix on the computer screen and found three in about 5 or 6 different frames!

Was almost ready to report a missing chick!

Ken

Re: Tuesday, March 30 -- Three eaglets in nest!

Randy
Georgia and I watched for over and hour while the kids settled down and the mother watched for the tree to the east. She then flew to the south and the kids were on their own while they napped.