We need to watch for signs of incubation - Dec 9 photos

We need to watch for signs of incubation - Dec 9 photos

We found the nest empty when we visited around 10:00 AM today, but there was an adult Bald Eagle roosting on a Melaleuca snag to the west of the nest. The bird's bulky profile, substantial beak, and the pure white tail feathers led us to believe that it was the female. (We still need to confirm that the male indeed shows brown streaks on his tail feathers, as during the past two years and suggested by recent photos.) Now is the time to carefully observe the pair for signs that egg-laying is imminent or has occurred. They will copulate more about 7 days before the eggs are laid. Once the first egg is deposited, the female will sit very low in the nest and the male will likely stand guard much of the time.

Eagle watchers, please record your observations here so that we may again attempt to pinpoint the day when incubation begins. If the nest appears empty, make a special effort to see if the female is indeed sitting low. Photographers, please try to capture photos of the tail feathers of any eagle you see, and post them here with your analysis.

Thanks!