Wednesday, 03/19/14. Noon to 12:30 - Nest Very Active

Wednesday, 03/19/14. Noon to 12:30 - Nest Very Active

tczig
I got to the nest around noon today.  The eaglets were very active.  One was flapping his wings a lot.  Within a few minutes, one of the parents was flying overhead with a fish.  The eaglets started making a lot of noise.  The parent landed on the branch above the nest for a couple seconds with the fish (visible in my photo), then flew into the nest and dropped off the fish.  The parent didn't stay at the nest for more than maybe a minute; it then flew off out of sight.  There were a lot of vultures flying above the nest, so I was thinking maybe the parent went to chase them off.  I saw the parent again after a few minutes, but he/she just flew by - didn't go into the nest again.  (I call it the parent, because I have no clue which is the male and which is the female.)

I made a new friend at the nest who lives in the area.  We had a good time talking about how awesome these eagles are, and that they come back every year.  We both very much appreciate being afforded the opportunity to view bald eagles in such suburban area.  Nobody else was at the nest, but when I got there, there was a man taking photos with a tripod.  He left before I got out of my car.

Julie