Wednesday 5:00pm to 7:00pm

Mike Fossler
Smith, Jill and I and some occassional unknown visitors saw the eaglets come and go from the nest two times or so.
A parent roosted at the Australian Pine till around 5:30 or 6:00. Smith had said it had been there since 3:00pm or so!
One of the eaglets joined it for a while before the parent flew away (photos added to my slideshow.)
After the parent left, the eaglet remained at the Australian Pine spot until at least 6:45pm. During that time it posed for us and also was continually attacked by the grackles (photos of this also added to slideshow.) Those grackles are braver than most - seeing though they could be the eaglets first catch!
Finally, the eaglet couldn't take it anymore and flew back to the nest and joined the sibling.

Re: Wednesday 5:00pm to 7:00pm

Jill W
What a BIG difference between yesterday late afternoon and today!!  After yesterday, I expected to bake in the sun today and be lucky to see one eagle far, far away in the dead trees, but it was not like that at all.
When I arrived at 4:25, an adult was on the favorite pine tree to the east and there was hardly a minute the whole time I was there that there was not an eagle somewhere to watch and photograph.  A big treat was when a juvenile flew to the same tree and watched its parent for quite some time.
A couple of times when my foot got crampy and I sat down in my chair, I could just sit and see one eaglet on the nest and another on the tree to the east with my binocs without even standing up.
The big bonus today was with Smith's interpreting for me the manual for my camera and some pointers from Mike, I actually got some pictures I'm quite happy with.  I think I took over 200, so it will take some time to go through them, delete the bad ones, and crop some of the good ones.
I had never seen the grackles harassing the eagles before today.  That was very interesting.
Smith and I left at about 7:10 and headed for Long Key to see the roosting birds.  Unfortunately, the in gate was closed and locked.  An employee told us that they close at 7:30.
I will try to insert one that I like.

Re: Wednesday 5:00pm to 7:00pm

Carolyn J
What a gorgeous shot, Jill! I'm glad that Wed made up for Tues. You just never know with nature, do you? It figures the kids were back in the tree after we left Tues!
Carolyn

Re: Wednesday 5:00pm to 7:00pm

smithk6303
Has anyone observed the delivery truck arriving at the nest lately?  I wonder if they get much to eat these days?  I would love to hear that they have managed to catch their own food - or at least that they are trying.
It's funny that you went out to Long Key yesterday.  I had a speaker come to give a presentation to my classes - Barry Heimlich, a past president of the Broward Audubon Society.  He mentioned how wonderful Long Key was, and even had a fabulous photo that he had taken of the tree covered in white birds of various species.  Now I really do  have to get out there!  The presentation was wonderful - he had a extensive variety of birds photographed mostly by himself.  They were organized and discussed so that the students could learn to identify and differentiate between various Herons and Egrets.  The kids loved it, and had lots of questions to ask.  It is amazing how this has brought out the best parts of the community.  Doesn't it make you have hope, amid all of the whoas of the world?

Re: Wednesday 5:00pm to 7:00pm

Jill W
Your pics are great, Mike
Jill