What the heck?

Jill W
When I arrived at the nest area at about 11:15, I saw a very large dark colored (almost black) bird flying around the area.  The bird had white tail feathers, and dark head.  Do young eagles get white tail feathers before their heads have white feathers?

I'm having lunch right now in Pembroke Pines and when I'm finished, I'm going back to the nest area.  It's really hard to see the nest because the trees in front of it have grown a lot.  The wind has to be blowing from a certain direction make it possible to see thge nest.

Jill

Re: What the heck?

Hope you can get a photo of that bird. Was the tail entirely white? Immature Bald Eagles may have some white on the tail even the first year, but it is more at the base of the tail and is mottled. I think that by the time the tail is entirely white, the head should also be white.

Has anyone seen the eagles carrying nest materials yet? One was seen breaking off a branch but not bringing sticks to the nest.

RE: What the heck?

lwhite
huh? What bird?

Lynda White

EagleWatch Coordinator

Audubon Center for Birds of Prey

1101 Audubon Way

Maitland, FL 32751

407-644-0190 x 106

407-719-2642 cell

http://www.audubonofflorida.org/who_centers_CBOP_eaglewatch.html

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, caring citizens can change the world.    Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”

-Margaret Mead

Re: What the heck?

  Sorry, Lynda. I was editing the FORUM and had relocated the post of
interest. Question about plumage. You can offer an opinion by replying
directly on the FORUM

Here is a link to the thread (I hope):

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/What-the-heck-td5607729.html#a5607729

Ken

Ken and Mary Lou Schneider
Miramar, Florida and North Aurora, Illinois

Web Site:<http://www.rosyfinch.com>
Blog:<http://blog.rosyfinch.com>
Photos:<http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch>
Eagle Nest FORUM:<http://rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html#FORUM>
Sandia Crest FORUM:<http://www.rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html>

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)
"I am at peace with everything when I can feel, hear, smell and see the amazing wonders that nature can provide." (Ryan Beaulieu, 1987-2005)

Re: What the heck?

Jill W
Yes, the tail feathers were entirely white and the right length for an eagle.  It was up pretty high, and I had not taken my camera stuff out of the car yet when it flew to the west and I couldn't see it anymore.

I returned at about 1:10 and stayed for about thirty minutes.  I was able to get a very good view of the nest when the wind gusted from the east.  No birds were around  or on it.  I noticed that it was in very good condition.  Either the weather did not disturb it much or somebirdy has been working on it for a while.

I checked out the dead melaleuca trees a few times and did not see any large birds.

Jill

Re: What the heck?

Very interesting! I copied Lynda White for her information.

If the eagle was flying up high, it is possible that the bottom of the white head was in shadow and appeared dark, but the light shone through to illuminate the white tail feathers, in which case it could have been an adult in normal plumage, but you would be in the best position to judge that assumption.

Am out of town right now, but last week I did notice that it was more difficult to view the nest. Bad for the photographers and viewers, but maybe good for the eagles and the traffic control officials.

Re: What the heck?

Jill W
Can't wait until Lynda replies.  Next time, I'll get out the camera stuff right away.

Jill

Re: What the heck?

Lynda replied to Jill's query:

Hi, Ken,
Thanks for responding. I have often seen eagles flying with what looked like a dark head/white tail or vice versa. I suspect, as you do, it's all about the light.

Lynda White

EagleWatch Coordinator
Audubon Center for Birds of Prey
1101 Audubon Way
Maitland, FL 32751

407-644-0190 x 106
407-719-2642 cell

http://www.audubonofflorida.org/who_centers_CBOP_eaglewatch.html

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, caring citizens can change the world.    Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”

-Margaret Mead

Re: What the heck?

Jill W
Thank you, Lynda and Ken!  It must have been the lighting.

Jill

Re: What the heck?

Kelly Smith
I saw an adult carrying a gigantic branch towards the nest.  Looked to be about 5ft long!  It dropped it before it could make it to the nest.  This was last week - around Oct 20.