bald eagles

pazjan
AOL Email
My family lives right off of Pines & 208, 1 block from the eagle nest, and watch the status of the eagles every day since we take our children to West Broward H.S. every day, including the summer, since they are in the West Broward Performance Ensemble.

Most of the families that have children in the WB Performance Ensemble do discuss events with the bald eagles.

However, I drive every day North on 27, to 75 and head east to Plantation.  Everyday on the drive home, driving South on 27 - just North of Griffin on the West side of 27, there is a young bald eagle, sometimes alone, sometimes with a few of the vultures.  The times are between 5:15 P.M. and 5:45 P.M., and they perch on the dead melalucous trees.

I don't know if it is one of the babies from Pines Blvd. nest, but maybe someone with telescoping lens would be interested in locating.

Re: bald eagles

Thanks for the alert. This is very possibly one of the Pembroke Pines eaglets, but there would be no way to prove its identity. Someone with a spotting scope might check to see whether it has a leg band or is carrying a transmitter pack-- if so, it would definitely NOT be a local bird, as none of them have been marked.

It is quite common for first year eagles to associate with vultures, as they are still developing hunting skills, and may depend upon a diet that includes more carrion, especially roadkills. Eagles are said to have a poor sense of smell, while vultures can smell carrion from miles away, hence the advantage of following the vultures to a meal.

This trait places them at special risk of being killed by motor vehicles.

Re: bald eagles

Carolyn J
Thanks for the info. It could well be one of the P.P. eagles! Perhaps one of the birders with the right equipment could catch a shot!