eagle at nest 10/10-4:15-4:30

johnnye
I passed by the nest this afternoon and saw one eagle perched just above the nest on the right side. It was blocked by a branch but was clearly an adult, all white head and tail. Ken, I wrote yesterday about a nest in south dade, cutler bay area. My co-worker takes pics there and I wonder if a female would come this far to the PP nest from there. Check out some pics at gaspeedwayphoto. He has a file labeled south dade eagles if you scrole down a couple rows.

Re: eagle at nest 10/10-4:15-4:30

NancyB
I have seen his site, and he does great nature photography.  However, I could not find it this time.  Can you provide a better web address?

Re: eagle at nest 10/10-4:15-4:30

johnnye
Nancy,
I just put it in google and it is the first one that comes up. gaspeedwayphoto. The eagles are the second row after the beginning slide show. I just wondering since Ken thought the new female has such a different body shape if maybe she could have come from the south dade eagles (as Greg has called them).

Re: eagle at nest 10/10-4:15-4:30

Lisa G
Hi John , I just looked at the Pictures of the Eagles in Dade Great pictures and a Beautiful pair . The Female Joy2 at our nest has marking on her head and tail and her head is not pure white . This Female could have come from anywhere . She could have come From Palm Beach county also Eagles travel far . I have a Nesting pair not far from my house and they have been around for years and this could be from the nest here . We will never really know were the Eagle come from unless they start tagging like they do in  Decorah  Iowa . It is would Great to know were she came from . I am Just Happy Pride got a Mate and I still think Joy is around and she got booted by the new Female .
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net

Re: eagle at nest 10/10-4:15-4:30

NancyB
Here's the link:  http://gaspeedwayphotos.com/p654282876  Problem was, I wasn't using Google, but another search engine.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/eagle-at-nest-10-10-4-15-4-30-tp7573804p7573806.html
To start a new topic under CURRENT 2014-2015 Observations of Pembroke Pines Bald Eagle Nest, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: eagle at nest 10/10-4:15-4:30

I just visited http://gaspeedwayphotos.com/p654282876/h563c4648#h563c4648

What a splendid set of photos of the eagles at the nest. It is also in an Australian Pine  (NOT Melaleuca as I originally said)  tree, rather high up and probably sways a lot in the wind.

Thanks for the link!

Re: eagle at nest 10/10-4:15-4:30

Johnnye, do you know how long the nest has been there? As you know, the eagles generally do not breed until their heads turn mostly white, which takes about four years. If they have been producing young for that long it is entirely possible that one of their descendants might be Pride's new companion.

If you wish, you may invite your friend to post photos on this FORUM. If there is sufficient interest I could set up a special sub-forum just for this particular nest (as we have for the Deerfield Beach nest). Since he is interested in selling his photos he would need to watermark them to discourage unauthorized use, but his contributions would be most welcome, and more people would enjoy seeing his work!

Re: eagle at nest 10/10-4:15-4:30-Reply to Ken

johnnye
Check his photos again. The south dade nest is in a PINE tree of some kind. It has very long needles. He says that nest has been there almost 20 years. Don't know if these are the original eagles though. He travels south florida taking pics. His great hobbie. He is aware of the nest(s) in the area that I think Phil was looking for. He says the developers had to change the site plan when they realized there were eagles there, but he feels the development still drove them away. The area was named Eagle something because of the eagles that were there at the time. I can't remember what he told me. There are also eagles around a dump in Kendall and when he stopped and spoke to the guard at the gate, he was told there were 5 lined up on the road (inside the dump area) the day before he was there. Also, his teenaged son fishes somewhere down there and sees eagles. It seems south dade is doing there part in bringing back the eagles to their area. Greg is great with a camera, but not so good with a computer. I am trying to get him to join this forum. Do you have any hints as to how to post his photos here? He says he will try to go to the south dade nest this weekend. Hasn't been there in a while and he also wondered about how the wind was affecting the nest. The tree is very very tall. He has to stand a good deal away to get his pic because of the height of the tree. It is in a swomp/wet type area with no traffic.

Re: eagle at nest 10/10-4:15-4:30-Reply to Ken

Sorry I meant to say the South Dade nest is in an Australian Pine, not a Melaleuca. I will edit my post to correct my error. Australian Pines tend to grow fast and not commonly have flat platforms for eagle nests as do the native pines, but they are about the only pines of any size that are available in much of southeast Florida, as they have replaced the native trees. Melaleuca trees are generally unsuitable nesting trees for eagles.

If your friend gives me permission I can post any photos he may wish to e-mail to me as attachments with descriptions. He may e-mail me at this link: Ken's e-mail

However it is not too difficult to sign up for the FORUM. At the top of the page go to:

"SUBSCRIBE ANONYMOUSLY AT THIS LINK to receive e-mail copies of all posts to this FORUM, either individually or in Digest form. " This will make a form pop up where you may choose a name and also a password. Becoming a "Member" allows you to post. You can elect to receive copies of all posts, as that is a good way to keep current on what is going on at the nest.

Posting text photos is actually quite simple after you register.

Choose : "New Topic" and a box will open where you can simply write a message.

To post photos, choose the box above the message "Insert Image." A box will pop up with two options, either to pick a photo from your own computer or one from a web site.

Let's say you pick a photo that is on your computer. You browse to the folder which contains the photo and select the file. Before clicking on the second "Insert Image" at the bottom of the pop-up box, be sure to "Resize" the photo so that it fits the page. If you fail to do this the photo may be much bigger than the page. I usually select the Medium or Big size, both of which fit the page nicely. You can either just let the photo "Float" or have it move to the left margin of your post, which is what I always do.

Picking photos from an Internet Web site is useful but they should be your own photos on photo sharing services such as FLICKR or Facebook. You simply choose the size photo you wish to send, and right-click it. You may need to first show the photo in a new window to be sure that you capture a JPG or JPEG image. Usually the image displayed on FLICKR or Facebook at first is not such an image and it cannot be posted on the FORUM. Right-click it and select "Copy image URL" -- do this and paste it in the second of the two boxes as described above, but be sure it ends in ".jpg"

Hope this helps!