eagles at melaleucas

johnnye
2 eagles were on the melaleucas this morning, Thursday at 6:32am.  Question  Ken...do you know if the eradication of the melaleucas is still going on?  What if all the dead ones fall and the eagles don't have any to roost on?  Maybe you can get a "resting" pole put up???  I would hate for them to go farther away to roost or go somewhere where we can't see them as easily.

Johnnye

Re: Items needed for the Eagles

NancyB
That's the sort of thing South Florida Audubon Society wanted to fund with the Eagle Tee Shirts.  We haven't received any orders at all.  Does anyone have any good ideas for fund raising for this sort of thing?  We dont wish to compete with Lisa on her Cam project, but we were hoping to fund items such as Osprey platforms or items like this idea of a "resting pole" for the eagles to roost on.  Educational signs would also be helpful to have in the area.  Since there was a recent event of some limbs falling on the nest, naybe we could fund an arborist to check out the tree after Pride flies North.

Nancy Boyle

Re: Items needed for the Eagles

It is likely that all the Melaleuca snags will go down in the next big wind or hurricane. Their wood resembles a roll of paper towels. As they dry up the spaces between the layers gets bigger as the wood shrinks. Since this tree is an exotic and invasive species that damages wetlands, it is considered to be a "weed" and is eradicated on SFWMD land such as that just to the west of the nest. The only thing that is saving the nest area is that it is City property.

This large grove of Melaleucas SE of the nest was killed with herbicides just a couple of years ago, probably to make way for the extension of Pembroke Road/Miramar Parkway that will connect with US-27 across SFWMD land:

Note how close together the trees were growing. Contrast that with the few stumps that remain west of the eagle nest. This is how many there were in March, 2009 as the fence was installed:

Now many of the larges ones have gone down:

The eagles will always choose and defend favored roosting places. They may make more use of the light and power poles as well as the tallest trees around the nest.

Re: eagles at melaleucas

I approached SFWMD about the possibility of placing one or more Osprey platforms on top of telephone poles that had been abandoned in the area SE of the nest (along the NE border of the Sunset Lakes Mitigation Area). They were not supportive, as this entire area that extends from the Miami-Dade County line and up along the east side of US-27 to Pines Boulevard will be turned into a reservoir to hold spill-over from a new reservoir C-11 being constructed to the north, in Weston. The water would be pumped into a canal along the east side of US-27 and flow south into this impoundment to be called C-9. If Osprey or Bald Eagles nested on them it could interfere with these plans.

In any event, any such roosting structures would need to be located on SFWMD land, which borders the nest area the south and west, at the stub of SW 209th Avenue on the south side of Pines Boulevard.

The area outlined in red will become the C-9 Impoundment, with 12-13 foot high levees and expected to capture rainwater up to 4-6 feet deep. The narrower strip which extends north of the Sunset Lakes Mitigation Area from Pembroke Road and along the west side of the nest area may be managed differently as a wetlands preserve rather than a lake:

Re: Items needed for the Eagles

johnnye
Nancy, I didn't understand that the tee shirts were to fund the PP eagles. Can you fill me in on what the proceeds would be used for? I have been meaning to order a shirt just because I like that Joy is on it with Pride before she went missing. Just wasn't a priority. I thought they were for general funding of the Audubond Society. It may help if we knew where the proceeds were going.

Johnnye

Re: Items needed for the Eagles

NancyB
The proceeds from the T-shirts would go towards needs of the Eagles as agreed by Ken and the forum members.  When it was mentioned that the Eagles may need resting poles, I thought this might be something that could be funded.

However, we would need a minimum order of 10 in order to make any profits, hopefully more.

if you would prefer a different design, or a different item I can work on that.

Nancy Boyle

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/eagles-at-melaleucas-tp7574042p7574052.html
To start a new topic under CURRENT 2014-2015 Observations of Pembroke Pines Bald Eagle Nest, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
NAML