multiple eagles at the nest?

Kelly Smith
I find myself once again traveling almost daily, to and from West Broward High, and the last 2 mornings I am sure that at least one eagle was on the nest around 7am.  This morning I was pretty sure that I saw 2 adults on the nest, and a few minutes later, as I returned from dropping off my son, I was surprised to see what could have been 2 immature eagles perched on the melaluecas. An adult flew overhead just before I passed by.
Throughout the summer I have periodically seen a single adult hanging around the lighthouse at Sunset Lakes.  Today was the first that I think I have seen 2 adults together.

Re: multiple eagles at the nest?

In Pinellas County, Barbara Walker has reported that quite a few adults were at their nests during August. Interesting! It is known that the young birds are more migratory than adults. The latter need to get back on territory to protect their "property rights." As Brian Mealey has pointed out, the immature birds from far South Florida are less migratory and tend to just wander in the lower third of the Florida peninsula.

Last year, a single bird showed up at the Pembroke Pines nest in early September, and one was seen carrying sticks to the nest on September 23. The first date that both adults were seen at the nest was September 27, 2009. (See the Eagle Milestone Spreadsheet)

Let's try to pinpoint the onset of nesting, courtship and mating activity, and also to record the behavior and interactions between the adults and any immature eagles that may appear in the nest area.

On another note, Barbara sent tracking information about Citrus, one of their eagles, that was detected near the Maine-Canada border this morning. I had trouble posting her e-mail, but do have copies of the tracking map and links to current information in the Sub Forum at this link: Eagle and Wildlife Events and News From Near and Far