web cam

Myeagle13
Hi i live close to the nest, i love this eagle can anyone tell me how is the project abut the installation of a cam? i only can read old posting about this project please i really wanna know cause tree are groving and very soon we would not see anything at all in the nest can anyone tell me?

Re: web cam

Steffi
It seems they have not yet raised enough money! I too am hoping for a cam for next season!  I live 30 miles from the nest so it isn't so easy to go see it very often and a web cam would show us a LOT more!

I just sent a donation and I hope more that read the forum will also help by sending $$$$!!
With my donation, I sent a letter asking that they add a DONATE button to the website that links to PayPal so it will be easier to donate!

Please send them what you can afford and encourage your friends to donate too!

Re: web cam

Myeagle
thank u for ur prompt response, i wonder why they don't talk to the mayor in other cities everybody help, i cannot believe that in this city the administration has not interest in what we have in this city the opportunity to have an eagle nest the national bird and they don't care.

Re: web cam

EagleK27
Myeagle, It is not a good idea to waste time trying to get the local government to help out. Their already threatening to lay off law enforcement officers, fire fighters and school teachers. It's not that they don't care... theirs just no extra funding to support programs like this one. Sad to say but that's just politics for you :)

We need to do things ourselves. It's called doing volunteer work. If you're a photographer who takes quality photos go out to the nest, and take some real nice photos of the Eagles and eaglets, and perhaps we can collect the best ones, and then use them for next years 2014 calender. If you're a graphics designer you can volunteer by designing a fancy logo to which you can use the photos taken by the volunteer photographers, and then possibly produce some T-shirts to sell to the public. It would be a source of income to help pay for the web camera, and for the maintenance.

While donating money is nice... people are much more willing to donate money if they know they will get something back so perhaps we can all think of something to sell to the public. merchandise is the key. And whom ever donates the highest can receive the right to have their companies logo on the webcam for a year. We can also sell advertisement spots (As long as it doesn't get in the way) on the webcam as well.

If you work... persuade your boss to donate money for the cause :)

Let your mind guide you :)

Re: web cam

Installation of a nest camera at this location involves problems of logistics. While the power distribution pole in front of the nest would provide a fairly good view, FP&L does not permit it to be used for such purpose. The tree sways and the image quality would often be poor. Putting it on a nearby tree would introduce even greater instability.

Putting in a tall pole would involve creation of a path for heavy equipment, which would cause unacceptable disruption of the habitat. It would need to be seated deeply, as guy wires would be a collision hazard for the eagles. The nest is very high, and the camera would best be placed on the nest tree, just above the nest, so that it would move with the nest when the tree sways. The Florida FWC does not favor using the nest tree for this purpose, out of concern that it might cause disturbance to the eagles and possible abandonment of the nest.

These barriers could probably be overcome. Any construction near the nest must take place outside the nesting season (October 1 through May 15), which is an increasingly wet time of year. Planning and all necessary funds and approvals must be obtained in advance of this short window of opportunity.  Previous plans have been drawn up in hopes of obtaining electric power and broadband support from the utility providers. The most recent plan involved solar power and a camera with a transmitter that would send the signal to the nearby high school.

The nest is protected on City land and the project enjoys the continuing support of the Mayor, and also officials of West Broward High School. No one is opposed to it.

It simply comes down to funding. We always felt that if Comcast/NBC and/or FP&L (or any local or even national corporation or conservation-minded organization) recognized the positive exposure (and possibility of advertising profits from hosting a web site) that could be gained by sponsoring the nest, it would be a no-brainer for them to support the project. These entities so far have been approached and no funding has been generated.

The nest tree is an exotic Australian Pine, prone to toppling over in a wind storm. Native pines often are flat-topped, offering good platforms for construction of a large nest. Australian Pines tend to have one central leader and grow up to a narrow point with few large lateral branches. The nest tree is unusual in this respect-- perhaps the central leader was damaged when young, and this caused the heavier side branches to sprout and eventually form a sturdy crotch for the nest. Although eagles will often rebuild nearby when a nest is lost, there may not be suitable substitutes within this pair's territory. Eagles often construct secondary or alternate nests, but we are not aware of any in this case. This situation poses an added concern.

Re: web cam

Myeagle13
Well thank u really for all of u that try to explain to me this situation, i unfortunately do not work, and have no money to invest but that idea of trying to recollect money really like it so i will work on that and which the explanation of the administrator i totally understood how hard this will be, is just that i'm so happy to have this unique birds so close to me that i really wanna do something for them, the other day in the middle of pembroke pines road just almost in front of the nest there was t dead raccoons and i told to myself well they could try to get roadkill fresh food but they can get hit by a car so i call different entities and finally was animal control of broward who told me they will definitely will pick them up and they did it and really fast and i felt at that moment i'm so proud i just did something for them it really make me feel good, they will be safe i and will do it again :)

Re: web cam

Myeagle13 wrote
... the other day in the middle of pembroke pines road just almost in front of the nest there was t dead raccoons and i told to myself well they could try to get roadkill fresh food but they can get hit by a car so i call different entities and finally was animal control of broward who told me they will definitely will pick them up and they did it and really fast and i felt at that moment i'm so proud i just did something for them it really make me feel good, they will be safe i and will do it again :)
That was really a good deed for the eagles! Motor vehicles are the major cause of death for eagles that nest in urban areas. Young eagles that have not fully developed their hunting skills often flock with the vultures at roadkill and are especially vulnerable. However, the availability of a food source so close to the nest would have been a major temptation for the parents.   Congratulations!!

As for financing the nest camera, the key would be to find a major organization or company that could provide a large grant (in the range of $10-15,000.00) for the equipment and installation costs. The ongoing operating costs could more easily funded by appealing for smaller donations from the general public and local businesses.