AWESOME SHOW AT THE NEST TODAY (Thurs., April 17, 2014 - 12:30 pm - 1:00 pm)

AWESOME SHOW AT THE NEST TODAY (Thurs., April 17, 2014 - 12:30 pm - 1:00 pm)

tczig
I had an awesome show at the nest today.  When I got there at 12:30, the nest was empty; no eagles in sight.  Within a minute, a parent came to the nest.  He/she stayed on the nest poking around for a couple minutes.  I heard one of the eaglets screeching, and it flew into the nest.  The parent stayed there a second, then left and flew over to the tall pines on the left.  That eaglet stayed at the nest poking and proding around at something.

As I was taking pics of the eaglet on the nest, the second one flew right in front of me!!  It was shocking.  I was standing by the roadway and it was flying to the pines where the parent was.  I didn't have time to react with my camera, hence the out of focus pic of the second eaglet.

That eaglet landed next to the parent.  Immediately, the parent flew off and I didn't see it again.  It was windy and drizzling a little, and the eaglet stayed on that tall pine until I left.  The one on the nest remained there.

This all happened within less than a half-hour time span.  Quite exciting for me.  It seems the parent is very conscious about feeding them, yet it doesn't want anything to do with them.  As soon as either one of them showed up, at the nest and at the tree, the parent quickly left.

Re: AWESOME SHOW AT THE NEST TODAY (Thurs., April 17, 2014 - 12:30 pm - 1:00 pm)

NancyB
Even though you think your photos are imperfect they do capture what happened and also display the eaglets' personalities quite well.  I especially like the next to last photo.  Good work!

Nancy Boyle

[...]

To start a new topic under CURRENT 2013-2014 NESTING SEASON OBSERVATIONS AND PHOTOS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: AWESOME SHOW AT THE NEST TODAY (Thurs., April 17, 2014 - 12:30 pm - 1:00 pm)

The parents may be coaxing them to start following them to the fishing/hunting grounds, which should happen during the next week or so. Sometimes the young ones will then follow the parent back to the nest after the adult catches a fish. Hope they start "playing" in the air above the nest-- that can provide some spectacular aerial interactions!

Re: AWESOME SHOW AT THE NEST TODAY (Thurs., April 17, 2014 - 12:30 pm - 1:00 pm)

tczig
Interesting Ken - and, yes, that makes sense that the parent was trying to get the eaglet to follow it.  As soon as the one landed on the pine tree, almost on top of the parent, that parent flew off.  The eaglet, however, just stayed on the pine.  It's amazing to watch these beautiful creatures and how they care for their young.  I have so much enjoyed watching this nest for the past several years, and hope to for many more years in the future.  Thx for the site - it's fantastic.

Re: AWESOME SHOW AT THE NEST TODAY (Thurs., April 17, 2014 - 12:30 pm - 1:00 pm)

Beautiful series of images documenting so well the behavior you described!   Love the photography....some really super shots....thanks so much for sharing your awesome observations at the nest!  I can imagine it was REALLY exciting for you!!