Adult pair, possibly the Davie eagles, regular in Dania Beach

Adult pair, possibly the Davie eagles, regular in Dania Beach

Kurt d
I have been observing an adult pair of eagles on top of the FPL tower structures on Anglers Ave and Sw 53rd Ct in Dania Beach. They favor the tower on Anglers Ave. when eating, and the next one to the west when just resting. I have seen them at various times, as early as 7:15 am, and as late as 6:00 pm, but most often between 3:00 and 4:00 pm. My theory is that these are the Davie eagles, they are not human shy, and quite at home on structure.

Re: Adult pair, possibly the Davie eagles, regular in Dania Beach

Thanks, Kurt. The Dania Beach sighting is about 3.2 miles SE of the Davie nest. May well be within its foraging territory, but keep an  eye out and look for nesting activity such as carrying sticks.

Re: Adult pair, possibly the Davie eagles, regular in Dania Beach

Kurt d
I have a theory about this pair. I believe that the Biscayne Boulevard eagles of 5 years ago, the Davie eagles, the Palm Avenue eagles, and the ones that I see are all the same pair. This pair behaves differently in a couple of ways. First off, they're very comfortable perching on man-made structure. Metal towers. Not a particularly common bald eagle behavior. Also, they don't seem to be fish eaters, rather they specialize in ducks and ducklings. I spoke to the maintenance man on a nearby golf course and he said that they wiped all the ducks and Egyptian geese off the golf course. So it's not surprising that this pair has moved around and has not had a consistent nest site. Think of them as transient killer whales eating marine mammals as opposed to resident killers eating salmon.