April 4 - Eaglet on nest

The eaglet was low in the nest the entire time we watched, from around 9:45 - 10:15 AM today No adults were visible.

Re: April 4 - Eaglet on nest

tomsease
We were there a little later & just saw the adult above the nest.

Re: April 4 - Eaglet on nest

tczig
That's good to see that he was snuggled down in the nest after being gone a couple days.  NICE PHOTO (as always)!

Julie

Re: April 4 - Eaglet on nest

Desiree
Love this picture!  Thanks!

Re: April 4 - Eaglet on nest

Nice shot, tomsea-- to view the entire photo, left-click and select an option-- I selected to view the image in a new tab and it looks great. To be sure your photo fits into the post, notice your choices of image size before you finally upload the picture. The large size of the image also slows down the loading of your post, in fact the entire thread.

Also, I copied your image here in a smaller size by right-clicking on it and selecting "Copy image URL." This is then copied into the "Insert Image" tab above and I selected a medium size. Hope this helps others who wish to upload photos.

Resized image

Re: April 4 - Eaglet on nest

tomsease
Thanks.  I also found out it works better if I use the Microsoft email client rather than the native Xfinity-Comcast email.  I'll get it right next time.   We're up in the mountains in Virginia this week so we going to go looking for NW Va. birds, deer &, hopefully, bear later today.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/April-4-Eaglet-on-nest-tp7573023p7573028.html
To start a new topic under CURRENT 2012-2013 NESTING SEASON OBSERVATIONS AND PHOTOS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: April 4 - Eaglet on nest

tomsease
I was going through some of the other shots that I had left on the camera & I came across this one that I took shortly before the one I sent last week.  Can you tell if this bird in the background is one of the other adult eagles or is it something entirely different (it’s pretty blurry)?  Also, I took the other shot below this afternoon here in Massanutten, Va.  I don’t know what kind of bird that one is but I’m finding out that these smaller birds are even harder to photograph than the eagles are.  I used the MS email client to send it this time rather than the Comcast client so, hopefully, I won’t mess up the server with these pictures.

DSCN1995

DSC_0005

To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: April 4 - Eaglet on nest

I'll hazard some guesses but will defer to other opinions as to the ID of the two birds.

The first has the right proportions between its wings and the visible view of its body to be a large raptor, very possibly an eagle. The depth of its wing beat downstroke would be a bit unusual for an eagle, as they usually fly with rather shallow strokes. However it could be hauling up from a perch. Its wings are somewhat pointed, unlike a vulture. Its wings are slightly at an "M" angle to the body rather than horizontal, like Ospreys, herons and gulls. An Osprey usually has more of an angle at its "elbow." It could be a larger heron such as a Great Blue Heron, but neither long legs nor a neck are clearly visible in this out of focus view. Bottom line is that I am really not sure of its identity.

The second bird gives us the advantage of color and full exposure of its profile. It has an insect-eating bill and seems to have yellow underneath and I detect some reddish tint to its tail and maybe wings. Its bill and head are consistent with a flycatcher. I believe it is a Great Crested Flycatcher. Neat shot and fun to try to figure out.

Re: April 4 - Eaglet on nest

tomsease
I checked online to see if I could get some more information on the Great Crested Flycatcher.  They had a recording of it's call & that does sound like what I was hearing before I shot that picture.  Thanks for all the information.  There were also a lot of woodpeckers up there but I never did get a good picture of any of them.
We got back home this afternoon so I'll try to get over to the eagle's nest in the morning to see what's going on there.

Tom Sease

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/April-4-Eaglet-on-nest-tp7573023p7573038.html
To start a new topic under CURRENT 2012-2013 NESTING SEASON OBSERVATIONS AND PHOTOS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
NAML