FDOT consults with FWC re nest observation platform and sidewalk

FDOT consults with FWC re nest observation platform and sidewalk

On February 10, the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) contacted the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) in order to initiate consultation concerning its plans to mill and resurface the stretch of Pines Boulevard from US-27 eastward to 196th Avenue. The plan includes a sidewalk that also would pass in front of the Bald Eagle nest site.

FDOT plans to follow the FWC Bald Eagle Monitoring Guidelines and offers several assurances to protect the nest and roosting sites. Construction near the nest will not occur during the eagles' breeding season (October 1 - May 15), and heavy equipment would not be staged on the block in front of the nest.

Significantly, FDOT seeks guidance from FWC as to the feasibility of the request by the Pembroke Pines Bald Eagle Steering Committee to provide for an eagle nest viewing platform, roadside parking on the south side of Pines Boulevard, and "Traffic Control Devices, such as roadside barriers to protect pedestrians."

The full letter with diagrams and maps of the proposed project may be accessed at this link (PDF).

RE: FDOT consults with FWC re nest observation platform and sidewalk

swilliams

Hi Ken.  That’s the letter I just e-mailed to everyone

Sharon Williams
Associate Planner
10100 Pines Blvd.
Pembroke Pines, Florida 33026
Intercom Extension 406
954-435-6513
954-435-6546 (fax)

[...]

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

This email was sent by NewMexiKen (via Nabble)
Your replies will appear at http://n2.nabble.com/FDOT-consults-with-FWC-re-nest-observation-platform-and-sidewalk-tp4587372p4587372.html
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion

Make Pembroke Pines Count
2010 CENSUS: IT’S IN OUR HANDS
Census Day is April 1, 2010 • www.broward.org/census2010

The City of Pembroke Pines is a public entity subject to Chapter 119 of the Florida statutes concerning public records. Email messages are covered under Chapter 119 and are thus subject to public records disclosure. All email messages sent and received are captured by our server and retained as public records.

Re: FDOT consults with FWC re nest observation platform and sidewalk

Yes-- I got it from you. Thanks, Sharon!

Ken

Ken Schneider
Miramar, Florida & North Aurora, Illinois

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Local Eagle Nest: http://www.rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html
Sandia Crest Birding Forum: http://rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)

swilliams [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] wrote:

> Hi Ken.  That’s the letter I just e-mailed to everyone
>

> Sharon Williams
> Associate Planner
> 10100 Pines Blvd.
> Pembroke Pines, Florida 33026
> Intercom Extension 406
> 954-435-6513
> 954-435-6546 (fax)

barbibird

Thank you for sending this.  I was just talking to Progress Energy today about a similar site in Pasco.

Barb